Sunday, March 29, 2009

Imaculate

A friend commented I mention my good tenants keep the exterior of their homes immaculate. I hadn't really thought of the implications to that until she pointed it out.

When I drive by, I check at how the property looks compared to the neighborhood. I don't want my homes looking like the rental abomination on the street. I don't get to see the inside of the property unless I have a contractor go over or I am somehow invited in. So, I can only make guesses based on what I can see from the street.

So, "immaculate" means the yard is well-kept. There aren't dead cars or dead science projects visible in the back yard. The property isn't overrun with weeds two feet high. Rats are an issue in Birmingham and they like to live in tall grass. When they get hungry the move out of the tall grass and into homes. It means the neighbors aren't complaining about an eyesore of a home. From what I can tell, the place doesn't need major repairs from neglect or the tenant running their car into a fence or exterior wall.

If the house is lived-in on the inside, I am totally fine with that. My house is lived-in!

I just don't want the place to look like it is falling apart. I want to keep my investments in good condition.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

If that's the case, then I shudder to think what the interior of a house with sofa's that were literally tossed in the backyard would look like.

Unknown said...

Funny that whole semantics thing. For me, immaculate brings to mind pictures of houses from Home and Gardens Magazines.

-J