Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Problem Child

There was a time when I ranked my problem children:

Wayward
Mr. Smith
Ms. Betty
Mr. Richards
Whomever else is giving me repetitive grief (you read this blog, I am sure I have missed one or six)

The Mrs. Springs, Ms. Angie and Ms. Robins are low on the list. Always.

However right now, without anyone else to particularly focus on, Ms. Robin has managed to gravitate her way to the top of the list. She didn't stop half-way and gasp for air. Nope. Ms. Robin went straight from "hey, I send you the rent, don't bug me" to "problem child" in three months flat.

I hate this.

Yet, here we are.

For the first 18 months they rented from me, they were golden. Now, not so much. It seems Mr. and Mrs. Robin seem to be having a few issues of late. And, because I like them, I have worked with them for the past few months. And yet, the issues aren't clearing up.

I am back to the Mrs. Sherwood dilemma. Do I coddle a good tenant, or cut the strings and let them hang?

I don't expect this house to be too difficult to rent out if the Robins leave. I expect the Robins have taken decent care and I can turn it over pretty quickly. But, I hate to go there. And, after what Wayward Tenant did to that home, I am thrilled at the tender loving care Mr. and Ms. Robin have provided it.

Is it better to have late paying tenants than take the chance at someone like Wayward coming back? Yea, probably.

I also happen to think if they are dealing with rental payment issues, they sure don't have the money to move. So, if things start to get ugly during the, "I really think you should look at making other accommodations" process, who is to say they won't dig their heels in and make me evict them?

Actually, I don't think they are the type. I hope.

But, I would rather they just straightened out their issues and we went back to the way it was before this summer: "Here's the rent. See you next month."

No comments: