Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Drumming My Fingers, Pacing the Floor

There is nothing more desperate than a landlord with a vacant home.

I'm just saying...

Kirby has been ever-so-patient with me and the whole vacant home thing in Fultondale. This property is owned wholly by Marty Sunshine and I, so we don't have a partner we can turn to if times are lean. Which they aren't. They are moderately low-fat. They will be lean in about four weeks.

Last year, I recall this home being vacant about six weeks before I got Artie and Candy. And, I wasn't excited about them. I took them because they looked a bit better than those who had called before them. And frankly, I am not sorry I took them over the others. I suspect the other applicant I had would have made for great blog fodder and serious migraines.

But, now Artie and Candy are kind of gone. I am still holding their security deposit until they get their yard clippings and broken washing machine out of my shed. When I told Kirby Candy is requiring me to return her deposit in 30 days (per her e-mail) he got a chuckle. In Arizona I am required to return it within 14 days. I think Alabama is somewhat similar. So, if Candy wants to wait 30 days, I am good with that.

Given what I know about rents in the area, we aren't asking too much. But I have to find someone willing to pay it. And, I have a bit of wiggle room if I need to lower it. But I would rather not.

Kirby is getting calls, but nobody chomping at the bit to see the house. And, given Mr. 114 needs to get over there and paint the ceiling where there was a water leak some time ago, it is probably for the best.

What Kirby told me was that he is asking potential tenants to make an offer and see what they are wiling to pay. It is an interesting approach, but it is better than a direct, "no thank you." I am willing to lower the rent if I can find a clone of Mr. Noble or Mrs. Sherwood Forest. And for that matter, I am willing to lower the rent if I just can't find anyone.

Kirby's theory is that those who would normally like that home can't afford it--no matter what the price. That may be. Unemployment is at 12 percent in Jefferson County. That doesn't bode well for any of my homes. I am grateful to only have one (and a half) vacant home(s).

I haven't talked to Kirby this week about potential renters. I am afraid to pester him too much. My experience is he won't get many calls until towards the middle of the month anyway. That's when people start looking.

For now, I am sitting tight for a spell, waiting for the right tenant to come along. They must be sane (Kirby's requirement) and employed (my requirement). I keep reminding myself, it has happened before, this is a nice, spacious house and the right/sane/employed person is out there.

No comments: