Friday, April 16, 2010

Maybe It Is Gaylord, Melvin or Dumbass

I found out on Wednesday that I had a voicemail from Monday. An unnamed caller asking me about the home Jack and I have and demanded I return his message as soon as possible. I called the guy back as soon as I found out.

After I introduced myself and the reason for my call, the guy started asking me all sorts of questions such as, "which house was it you were selling?" I responded by saying, "I am sorry, I didn't catch your name." He answered with, "Mr. Cummings."

Really, it doesn't matter what his first name happens to be, I would have called him Mr. Cummings anyway. I have done enough business in the South to know my manners. But I was put off by Mr. Cummings reluctance to actually give me his first name. If that wasn't enough, every time he asked me a question, he would cut me off in mid-sentence and ask another. Finally, about four minutes into the call, he cut me off again and asked me to call him back in 30 minutes.

Two hours later I did call back and listened to Mr. Cummings repeatedly call me by my first name. His other hot point was that he continually harped on how he called me more than a week ago and hadn't heard from me--which wasn't true. I ignored it. There was no point in correcting him, bullies don't tend to listen to the truth anyway.

When we got to the crux of the call, it turns out Mr. Cummings might or might now be interested in the home Jack and I have for sale. Overall, the guy was a bit snarky, in an arrogant, obnoxious way. Truth be told, if Jack wasn't involved in this one, I would have passed on this guy.

Eventually, I sent him to Jack to let him deal with him. But first I called Jack and left a message letting him know Mr. Cummings might call and he has a strange perception of time. It took me 36 hours to call him back, not a week. And, by the way, the guy might have an interest in our home.

In the event Mr. Cummings likes the place, and we want him, I will know his first name. And you know what? I will take every opportunity I can to call him by his first name.

No comments: