Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Franny

Jack sent Franny to me as a potential tenant. Franny worked hard at good first impression. She followed up with me (thinking I was Jack) via e-mail to confirm the meeting time. She sent me the entire application, being sure to fill in everything right the first time. She sent me a picture of her bulldog at my request, because the latest euphemism for pit bull is "American Bulldog."

Franny did everything asked with a cheerful heart. She even followed up to make sure we were on the same page. Her doing so made her inappropriate job solicitation a bit more palatable. I even overlooked the fact her significant other was a pastor. I have never had good experiences with pastors in Birmingham.

Then I ran Franny's credit.

Right now everyone renting from me is low maintenance. I like that. And, I really wish to keep this as the case. But I have seen Franny's profile so many times before. The ultra-professional who wants to make a good impression but makes a terrible imprint on paper.

Jack and I discussed the situation in great length. Was she and her pastor boyfriend worth the risk? The pastor looked good on paper. He has a decent day job that will cover the rent if Franny has a hangnail and needs the money to have it surgically removed. They don't have much debt, with Franny's outstanding balances totaling less than six month's rent--which makes me wonder: why let your credit score plummet for such a small amount of debt?

When I talked with Franny, I got a story that seems plausible. She spent more than she made while in college. She made bad choices. She is working and paying off her bills. Here she is.

Franny has since found that the best things in life aren't things and surrounding yourself with stuff doesn't buy happiness. To her credit, she volunteered that she owes the money for her debts and has opted not to file bankruptcy, instead is paying them off.

All that said, when Franny and I talked, I explained nothing comes before rent. Not a hangnail. Not an overdue Verizon bill. Nothing. I did not want to be inconvenienced because she had a bad day. Rent or move. There would be no other option. I am the first bill she pays. Always.

Marty Sunshine, who at first was very against approving Franny, finally pointed out that we have had better-looking tenants on paper who turned out to be extraordinarily awful. We have taken chances on tenants with worse credit scores who turned out to be great.

So true. In the years I have done this, I have reached the conclusion: A credit score is just a number. It is character that matters.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

Marty is the Dali Lama of real estate. I would heed his advise as it certainly sounds like "Sage" advise to me.

Unknown said...

Too bad you can't make reading "The Total Money Makeover" as one of the hoops your future tenants have to jump through. Then at least a bad credit score could be attributed to following Dave Ramsey's plan