Monday, April 26, 2010

It Won't Be Vacant Long

Coming next week, I will have a vacant home. Much to Marty Sunshine's astonishment, I am bizarrely at peace. Jack, however, seems to be getting antsy.

Last week he showed our home to a couple. Jack told me they were from Argentina and had been in the states for about 15 years. He said they were well-groomed and well-mannered. He said they didn't have social security numbers, though he was sure they were self employed, with at least the wife taking cash under the table. After he showed the home, he asked me if I would give them a call and qualify them and answer any questions they might have.

I noticed Jack didn't ask if I had any questions. Before I could get a chance to see what Jack found so special about these folks, or more likely, turn them down based on Jack's description, the family decided they didn't want the home anyway.

And--just in case you ever find this blog, Jack--please understand, this sounds like trouble with a capital T. You can't garnish wages for people who don't have social security numbers or jobs. You can thank me later.

Over this past weekend, I was out in the boondocks, bonding with the cub scouts. I came home to Birmingham e-mails and voice mails. The first of several calls were from folks who didn't leave their names or couldn't do the basic necessities. Essentially, act in a way that will get me to call you back.

The calls got significantly better by the end of the messages--which made me think there might be an antidote for Jack's anxiety. As for me, I am still eerily taking this in stride. We have May's mortgage covered. I don't think this home will be vacant long. And, I suspect I can find someone who has a social security number and a regular job to rent from us.

No comments: