Friday, April 09, 2010

The Cost of Doing Business

I had a long talk with Legal Eagle Monday morning. I wish we were talking about fun, friend-type things. But, we weren't. Instead I bought an hour of her time.

Among the more mundane topics we discussed was the property management company I hired and fired a month later and I are not seeing eye-to-eye. I had a long talk with the Alabama Real Estate Commission recently who gave me their opinion. On the record: there is nothing they can do. The property management company didn't break any laws--which is what the commission regulates. Off the record: the property management company are sleaze balls who have breached their fiduciary duties and I should go after them civilly. And seriously off the record: who the heck does a final walk-through with a tenant AND LETS THEM STAY IN THE HOUSE?? This property management company should be strung up and horse whipped.

Ok... I made up the strung up part. Instead, the guy at the Real Estate Commission just gave me a, "bless your heart," to encompass all of his feelings for the hell I went through. But I speak Southern well enough now that I know what he meant: strung up and horse whipped.

When Legal Eagle and I discussed, it really came to a few points. I probably would win, but it would cost me as much or more to fight them than I would recoup. It would be a hollow victory. Essentially, I would be suing on the principle of the matter. Never sue on principle. Instead, I am going to begrudgingly let Karma take care of this one.

1 comment:

Lori said...

i went through a very similar situation with a (not-)cleaning company. when it came down to it, i had to go with my brain and do the thing that was going to cost me less money and waste me less time ...

but it still irks me to no end!!!