Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hardened Criminal

While cleaning off my desk Wednesday, I found a love note from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $9.18 in penalties and $0.27 in interest. Their letter stated I did not owe any principle nor did I have an unpaid balance. Just the interest and penalty.

Oh, they wanted their money yesterday. Seriously, it was due on April 20.

When I looked over the paperwork, I couldn't find any reason why I owed them $9.45. Diamond Jim is out of town playing with his grandchildren this week, so I couldn't call him. And even if I could, I really wasn't up to paying $50 an hour for him to research what was bugging the IRS. I opted to call myself, but decided for the hour and a half of research that might still produce the same outcome, my time might be better spent writing a check and cutting my (alleged) losses.

Of course the irony is that the check is late, so I will end up writing a second check for $0.27 again in a couple of weeks.

4 comments:

Ernie said...

Brings to mind the quote, "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's,...." and to those who really studied their Latin lessons, "Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris"

Ernie said...

Must also say the Mary Poppins song is now stuck in my head, "just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down, the medicine go down, medicine go down, yes a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down.......in the most delightful way". Why is it only the bad songs get stuck in your head?? Why not have a Steve Perry song stuck in there????

BusyMommy said...

Don't you wish you could just send people bills without explanation and make it so difficult to get an explanation that they would just sigh and pay it? I mean legally.

Lori said...

last year i received 2 pieces of mail - one a check for an amt like "$114.17" from the IRS and the other a note from the IRS demanding that if i didn't pay $114.17 IMMEDIATELY my wages would be garnished, my home taken away, and my first-born child put into servitude. :^/ somewhat confusing. i sent them their $114.17 and deposited *my* $114.17, but i was aware that the whole hot-potato game cost them more in time/paper/postage than it did me. mmm. tax dollars at work, as they say!