Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Hasn't She Heard of E-Mail?

I counted. Ms. Betty has called me nine times since Saturday. Her calls range from "Did you get my receipt I sent two weeks ago?" to "We haven't seen a rat in days." By Call Four I was starting to wonder what this really was about.

I hate to say it, but it really does scream Mr. Smith. I get it. She wants me to like her. And, it isn't that I don't like her. But there is some truth to the adage: absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

I have been guessing her need for approval has to do more to do with putting me in a position to later on ask for a break if one is needed. I suspect, Ms. Betty thinks if she and I have a connection, how can I say no to some future unreasonable request to live in the house for free?

The truth is, right now I like all my tenants. And, whether I like them or not does not really have much of a bearing on whether or not they get breaks.

Yesterday, (Call Eight) the Betty's came clean. Mr. Betty got laid off. This call was to sweetly ask when exactly could they pay the rent? The answer to that question was pretty simple. On the rent due date. Fortunately, Call Nine was to tell me Mr. Betty also got a job today, so that shouldn't be much of a stretch.

No comments: