Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Yea, Right...

I hadn't heard from Christy. Until today. And, technically, I didn't hear from her today either. I heard from Karen.

Karen left a message for me, informing me she and I spoke "extensively" last week about my vacant home. In her message, Karen told me they would be "scraping" the deposit together and should have it next week. She actually said "scraping"! She then proceeded to tell me they would be ready to move in immediately after that.

Here's a tip on how to impress a landlord: don't use the word "scraping" when referring to deposits or rent.

I am so glad I got Karen's message as a voice mail. I am even more thankful that when I called back I got Karen's/Christy's answering machine. I left a message stating if they were indeed that interested, I would be happy to get an application to them as soon as possible. I would also need the application fee before I ran the checking credit, criminal background and eviction history. I would also need two pay stubs so I could verify employment. I explained these were just part of the standard rental proceedures. And, as I was sure they were aware, this was just a simple administrative matter.

Karen called back, admitting she never spoke with me. Instead, it was her daughter who had called. She then told me their landlord has agreed to let them stay for a mere $300 a month.

Of course this landlord did! I believe this. I believe in Santa too. The landlord has also found a cure for cancer, takes in stray animals and has solved the crisis in the Middle East all in the landlord's spare time. A noble woman that landlord.

At any rate, Karen asked me to call her if I didn't rent it out by the end of next month, because they will probably need it then. Sure thing. I will get right on that.

No comments: