Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When One Door Closes Another Door... Well, You Get The Idea

Remember my house in Leeds? I have a contract on it. I am not convinced the contract will go through. The buyer is questionable. She is squeezing every penny she can out of the seller down payment/closing cost assistance program. I will walk away with nothing but the end of this nightmare of a house in Leeds--which I have been advised by Legal Eagle not to blog about.

The contract should be executed by September 30--just two weeks from now. So, if it can go through, my life will be better off. Even though no money will be made. My sanity will be that much more intact. If it doesn't go through, I will deal with it then.

That said, before I got the purchase contract, I listed it for rent in last Sunday's Birmingham News. In the last three days, my phone hasn't stopped ringing. Though I can no longer rent it out, I can do something just as productive. If I am unable to rent out this house in Leeds, why not just tell the callers about the other two homes I have coming available? (The two potential tenants for Wayward's home have fallen through because Alpha and Alpha Boss took so long.)

This new hobby has brought me tremendous pleasure. You see, Mr. Smith's home is about two miles away from the Leeds house. It is in a better neighborhood. A better school district. It is an up an coming area of Birmingham. And best of all, the house isn't in Leeds.

Here is where my sick enjoyment comes in. Mr. Smith knows I have a group of people who drive by deadbeat's homes, looking to see if they have moved on. In Mr. Smith's case, I don't. I gave it up. I figured he wasn't leaving, so I stopped asking my forces from filling up at $3.75 a gallon and doing this. But, Mr. Smith doesn't know it.

However, when I tell callers about Mr. Smith's soon to be vacant home, I give them the address and invite them to drive by. Now, in all fairness, I explain that I request they respect the tenants' privacy, as this is a difficult time for this family. But, feel free to drive by. If they need to slow down, that is fine. But, please do not talk to anyone in the neighborhood, get out of the car or trespass. I don't explain I am evicting their sorry thieving asses. But, I leave that open to interpretation.

So far, I have three people who have expressed an interest in being informed when when Mr. Smith leaves. Getting this place turned around quickly will be a nice reward.

No comments: