Saturday, September 06, 2008

Referals Aren't Only for HMOs

Calvin no longer mows lawns where bees may or may not be present. Carolsue didn't seem to think this was the end of the world, as she swears he doesn't do a great job anyway. Nevertheless, I still had the county's certified letter, telling me I had mere days to take care of Wayward's yard. Or else.

I called Tenant 114, who told me he wasn't willing to drive that far. Fair enough. Wayward's home is 40 miles. One way.

My next step was a blanket e-mail to several folks--mostly tenants--who might know someone. In fact, I sent my note out to about 10 people. I had a response from six of them. And, one mowed my lawn today. Just in time to spite Jefferson County's Lawn Inspection Department. But, just in case this guy doesn't meet Carolsue's minimum standards, I now have the name of five other potential lawn guys.

This is how things are done in Alabama. I marvel at how unusual and slow things are there. And, though there is nothing wrong with the way business is done there, I am used to a different level of professionalism.

In Alabama, one's reputation weighs more than a checkbook. I am more likely to get something done in Alabama because I know someone, instead of randomly calling lawn services. This is true for everything from appraisers to process servers and every profession in between.

No comments: