Sunday, September 07, 2008

Why Wouldn't She Think I Would Talk to Carolsue?

Last Thursday, I put an add on Craig's list advertising my Leeds house for rent. Thursday afternoon Christy called me. She wanted to see the house. I followed my standard procedure, take a drive by, if you like, call me and I will give you Carolsue's number.

Christy told me she lived in Trussville. I thought it odd that she would have any interest in a home in Leeds. It would be the equivalent of living in Gilbert and moving to Buckeye. Or for you St. Louis readers, living in St. Peters and moving to Florissant. Very different living styles.

Friday morning Christy called back. She loved the house, but would I lower the deposit because there seemed to be some issue with the back steps leading up to the deck. (NO!!!) And, what was Carolsue's number?

Christy called me an hour later. She hadn't heard from Carolsue. No, Carolsue works. In fact, I mentioned this during our first and second call. If she doesn't call you by Sunday, let me know. But, please give Carolsue some time to return your call.

Two hours later Christy called again and we went through the entire drill. Carolsue would NOT be calling at least until after work hours. Christy also gave me a few extra tid-bits about her life. She had a husband and two children. And, she has two cats.

Carolsue did meet Christy and her crew out at the house today. First, it isn't just Christy, a husband, two children and two cats who would be residing there. It is Christy's mother, another child, a soon to be born baby, FIVE indoor cats and two dogs residing in this 1,200 square foot home.

Christy marveled at how I taken care of the back steps so quickly (I hadn't), but lamented to Carolsue that I had agreed to let her husband do it. She also told Carolsue I had already approved her for the house. Carolsue nodded and smiled, knowing full well I have a six page application, and I do a background, criminal and credit check.

Christy also went through the home, announcing to Carolsue she would be painting the master bedroom red and black. She would be painting the front bedroom teal. She would be ripping out the shrubs in the front. I apparently had approved this.

Carolsue made polite conversation, asking what they did for a living. Every time this came up, she watched with amusement as the three adults changed the subject and scurried out of the room, looking for more things I had already approved to be remodeled.

By the time they left, not only had they been pre-approved to rent the house, but they were planning on moving in just as soon as they had the deposit money together (which apparently, they confided, is a bit of a challenge). They were already writing out their formal Thanksgiving dinner invitations, ready to invite more family and friends to cram into this tiny house with their five indoor cats and two dogs.

Before Carolsue left, she checked the house. It turns out Christy and Co., opened two windows so they could sneak back into the home. As a real estate agent, I know this trick. And, I was pleased Carolsue took the time to check for this. And, Baseball Guy is planning on going out there again tonight and tomorrow just to make sure Christy and Co. haven't moved in. And, I have already alerted the Leeds police to look for anyone lurking over there. "You mean like another lawn guy?" joked the policewoman who took my call. She knew what I meant. My tax dollars at work.

As for Christy and Co., I haven't heard from them. Which is fine by me.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

You are so savvy about this stuff.