Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yes, You Do Need A Sweater!

I sure do like Kirby. Except he has this annoying habit of spoon feeding me information. One might deem his responses to to my questions as utterly useless. But, I am sure to him they are filled with meaning that should not be questioned.

For example:

Me: "Kirby, I am going outside. Do I need to wear a sweater today."

Kirby: "The sun is up."

Of course, this is done with me leaving a voice mail and him responding much later in the day with an e-mail, so these particular conversations drag on for longer than necessary, with me getting more testy with each passing voice/e-mail.

On Monday, after a maddening few days of getting (what I consider) half responses to relevant questions, I was done. My mind was spinning with all sorts of scenarios that probably weren't true. I left him a message telling him this mode of communication wasn't working for me, and reiterated my questions.

Kudos to Kirby for looking for a "working" solution and thinking outside the box. Kirby sent me two e-mails, breaking down the topics I repeatedly called about and sort of answering my questions, but not by enough so that I was satisfied.

Tuesday I called him, leaving him a much more terse message, telling him he was to call me back. I think I forgot to say please.

One of the really great things I like about Kirby is his ability to pick up the subtleties of a bitchy woman. He didn't disappoint there. And this time he called back, acting like nothing was wrong.

I started our chat with: "You aren't hanging up until I am done with this conversation because you are impossible to get in touch with."

He dutifully responded with a, "Yes ma'am," and I suspect he muttered "bless your heart" under his breath.

What I wanted to know was some details about what is happening with the home in Leeds. Did they pay? Do we have a security deposit? Are they moving out? Do we need an attorney? Do you have an attorney who is volumes cheaper than Legal Eagle? Have you started the process of evicting or are you waiting for me to give the go-ahead (and I sure hope not, because I gave the go-ahead LAST WEEK).

When that was covered (no, sorta, he doesn't know, yes, yes he does and not yet), we moved on to my home in Fultondale. Where was the rent? It was due on the 1st. This particular tenant was in a bad car accident a few months ago. I have been more lenient about this because she had been communicating with Kirby. It turns out she is now back at work (news to both Kirby and I) and rent was on its way. Kirby and I discussed a strategy to get her back on track. And more importantly, when I could see the rent payment for January. Last I checked it was the 25. The mortgage was due in six days.

Being the quasi-consummate professional I pretend to think I am, I didn't really go into my levels of disappoint with him. I will save that for another time. Hopefully, it will never come up. I would like to think maybe he got the message: answer my questions and I will stop calling over and over.

Last year I found out Kirby is managing about as many homes as I own plus a few more. And, I gave him two more this fall. That really is a lot for one Kirby to manage. I know this first hand. I have four off my plate and I am feeling much better. I have since found out he is considerably larger, buying out another property management competitor.

So, his new inventory right now is a handful--especially with a deadbeat grandma to deal with and a persnickety landlord with credible control issues. My long term goal is to give Kirby all my homes. But for now, I am waiting to see some better results with the ones I gave him. Or, at least hear better responses.

No comments: