Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Still Not Convinced

It has occurred to me, that Ms. Shirley probably felt my Lease Termination Letter came out of left field. And, she is probably right. Yes, I understand we have a contract. Yes, I understand that the consequences to not honoring that contract can result in a Lease Termination Letter.

But, you see, Ms. Shirley and I had a pretty amiable relationship up until last Thursday. Though she may not realize how saying to me that I don't know what it is like to be poor might have rubbed me the wrong way, that really isn't the reason she got the termination letter. Or, at least I would like to think so when I am on my high and mighty landlord horse.

The truth be told, I really felt Ms. Shirley had been pushing the limits of my patience for months. I was utterly put off by the roof leaking annoyance of last year. Though I would like to take this moment to thank the Almighty for miraculously fixing her roof leak. Because, I sure didn't.

I was also annoyed with her missing rent check drama of last summer--which I later found out included some extra cash in her pocket to pay for dental work, her daughter's wedding and a myriad of other items. All of which I am not suggesting she isn't entitled to--but my rent money comes first. I have a contract stating as much.

Ms. Shirley's antics were old as we trodded on into November, with the apex being the serious tongue lashing I gave her last December. The result was a friendly e-mail on Christmas Eve from Ms. Shirley telling me December's rent would be showing up some time in January.

Which, as of this writing hasn't happened.

Since Thursday, Ms. Shirley however has sent me a variety of e-mails, ranging from "Oh my goodness!" to "What the *^ #$%$ do you mean I owe you money?" And even took the time to fax me a copy of the cashier's check she allegedly sent out. I must say, if it were me, and that much money of mine was missing, and the missing money might be all that is between me and living in a carboard box under the Interstate underpass, I might try a teensy bit harder to figure out what happened to the missing check. I'm just saying...

On Monday, Ms. Shirley was a bit more conciliatory and actually offered to "replace" the cashier's check she owes me with another cashier's check she still owes me. She even offered to make sure the one she got could find its way to my mailbox (actually she offered to put it directly in my bank account. Tenants who are on my last nerve don't get access to my bank account).

I agreed to her solution, with a quick suggestion that I don't care to explain to Mr. Partner once more how Ms. Shirley can't seem to get her act together. So, it darn well better show up before her ten day warning was over.

Ms. Shirley did explain the weather was cold in Birmingham on Monday, in January, so hauling herself to the bank can't happen until today. Apparently cold weather stops commerce from taking place in the South. Who knew!?

Feeling a bit charitable on Monday, during the course of our e-mail visit, I did ask Ms. Shirley when I can expect January's rent. Personally, I am not holding my breath we are getting much past December's situation. But, as Ms. Shirley seems to think a new cashier's check will fix all past sins, I thought I would throw out the idea.

Ms. Shirley immediately wrote me back. January's Rent would be coming on time. Not a problem. And, in exchange would I please stop eviction.

Yea, I think I could manage that--that is, if December's rent actually shows up.

No comments: