Wednesday, January 12, 2011

All Quacked Up

It turns out that asking Jack to clarify my loyalties for the Oregon-Auburn BCS Bowl game came in handy.

On Tuesday, Attorney Jon called me about some painfully long, complicated boring legal matter that will either cost me a bit of time and money if all goes well. If not, it will make for a painfully long, complicated (and I promise to find some way to make it sound amusing) blog. But for now, nope, not so much.

Before we even got to the purpose of his call (as you might remember, he left me a voice mail last Friday saying, "we have a problem."), our first ten minutes of chit-chat were about the game, with me starting out by saying, "So sorry to hear about the Ducks." Of course, I didn't watch the game, but I did take a quick peek at the score early Tuesday--just in case.

And by the way, it was very painful to wait those ten minutes talking about some college football game when I really wanted to know why Attorney Jon left a cryptic message for me in the first place. But of course, in the South, all scary legal problems are on hold until one has rehashed the horror (or victory) of a college football game.

When I started this accidental business, I never dreamed how important it was to be able to speak the language. It isn't just the Southern colloquialisms. It is knowing what to talk about and when. I would like to think there is hope. Perhaps I am getting the hang of this culture.

3 comments:

CarolSue said...

I have said it before and I'll say it again....in a previous life, you were a die hard southerner. You have it down pat!

Fiona D. said...

Aw... thanks... but I don't think so. You see, I happen to KNOW the Civil War ended. And I happen to KNOW who won.

CarolSue said...

Well......it would appear that I might have been mistaken. We seem to have just a bit more work to do....