Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Well Done

If I could please direct your attention to this post here. Or, if you would rather have the abridged backstory instead, it goes like this:

Alabama Real Estate Guru Jack and I own a rental house together (along with Marty Sunshine, but it gets tedious to write Jack, Marty Sunshine and I own a rental house together, especially when I am pretty much speaking for Marty most of the time. Unless he tells me otherwise. See! This is why you should have clicked on the link above). The month after Harold moved in, his lady friend (Haroldine)'s portion of the rent bounced. I wasn't happy and Haroldine begged me not to tell Mr. Jack.

I did anyway--though she doesn't know it.

Haroldine pays some obscure portion of the rent. Though I have never quite understood it, the amounts range from $137.64 to $486.39 any given month. Harold sends me a money order. Haroldine sends me a check. Or, she used to. Sadly, she bounced another check.

Right after I found out the check bounced, I called her, only to find out all forms of communication between Harold/Haroldine and I were invalid. That irritated me to no end.

Generally in these situations I send a letter or send over Carolsue to make the tenants cry. In this case, because Jack lives in the general area, I sent him over instead. I can do a pretty good bad-ass over the phone. Jack, however can do a better one in person.

Last Monday, Jack hand-delivered the letter I was planning on mailing. Apparently he spoke with Haroldine while he was there. About fifteen nano-seconds after Jack left, she called me. Now, I don't know what was said, but I bet whatever Jack conveyed was as good as anything Carolsue could have thrown out there.

Even with Haroldine's thick drawl, I could tell on my voicemail her voice was quavering. She let me know she was very sorry about the bounced check. All future monies would be in a money order (my mandate) and this wouldn't happen again. (sure, whatever)

And, did she mention she was sorry? Very sorry? By the way, here are all the numbers to get in touch with Harold and Haroldine.

And, one more thing, next time there is a problem, there is no need to involve Mr. Jack. And certainly I didn't need to send him over. I could just call Haroldine myself if that was ok with me.

Jack also sent me an e-mail later in the day. All it said was, "done."

No comments: