Sunday, July 18, 2010

You Can't Hide

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you owe money/committed a crime and don't want to be found. Well then, may I suggest staying off all social media? Even the most innocent of connections might be enough for those who are looking to find enough of what they need.

I had a (now former) tenant once friend me on Twitter. I wasn't excited about it and instinctively went to block her. And then I read a few things she had to say and decided it might be in my best interest to have access to her posts. When she moved out, I wasn't shocked. Her marriage had been in trouble. I knew this because of Twitter.

I have a tenant who owes me a bit of money. Currently she is unemployed. I check on Linked In every so often to see if she is working. At the moment, no. But given her pattern, she will be.

Then there is the biggie. The mother of all social media. Our friends are on it. Even my brother--Mr. Anti 20th century (as in 1901 to 2000) has an account.

But, let's say you aren't my friend. In fact, you don't want to be found, so there is no way will you consider friending me if I asked. Might I suggest it can happen? Yes. It can. It does.

For example, a few months ago I set up a fake account. I found some photos, created a name and e-mail address and went to town. I started by randomly friending anyone in the Birmingham area who went to certain high schools and colleges. Then I started looking for church affiliations. Then I started by looking at employers in the area. I friended anyone who asked.

In 30 days, I had 1,000 friends. I never updated my status. I never poked or built a farm. I did find Ms. Betty and went to work friending the people on her list. Several said yes. So, then I friended Ms. Betty. Incidently, she writes an awful lot about her preschoolers passing gas.

For the past few weeks, I have been watching Mr. Smith. Yesterday I found out where he is working. What a treat! Legal Eagle is already aware and promised she would do her magic as soon as she gets back from her vacation.

The amazing part of this is that only two people ever asked who I was and how I knew them. Two! In one case I told the woman I didn't know her and she still friended me. The other one opted against us connecting.

My goal isn't to spy on my tenants. In fact, for ethical reasons I have no desire to look for them. For that matter, I don't have any compunction to find former tenants who left and fulfilled their end of the lease.

But there are those who felt their trash could stay and they didn't need to pay the last month's rent. Those are the ones I am looking for.

And it is easier than one might think.

3 comments:

Joy N. said...

very clever... i "like."

Lori said...

i love to watch your evil mind at work. it's like we are SOUL TWINS. ;o)

Fiona D. said...

Awe thanks...

Though I prefer to think of it as a mean streak and a perpetual grudge instead of evil.