Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Fix-It Club

I don't mean to nit-pick, but it seems to me tenants can tell me they have repair issues at more opportune times. It isn't like I don't get things fixed. In fact, I often work extra hard for the comfort of my tenants--when their demands are reasonable.

Last time I was in Birmingham, I brought Ms. Kathy some mortar so she could fix her front steps. Of course, in the entire time she had lived in this home, she never mentioned the loose front steps. The reason I knew about them is because I almost cracked my skull on the loose bricks. And worse, apparently this had been an issue for the first year she lived there. Instead of telling me about it or fixing it herself, she had just trained her kids to avoid the top step of the porch. For $6.99 her steps are now safe.

Ms. Kathy also didn't bother to tell me about her septic back-up until a holiday weekend--two weeks after the mess started. Might you remember, Ms. Kathy only has one bathroom. I wasn't paying holiday weekend prices to have the system drained. I have no idea how Ms. Kathy resolved that one, but the septic guy didn't show up until Wednesday the following week.

Earlier this month, sweet Ms. Angie sent me an e-mail. She asked when I was going to fix the water leak at her house. My answer, "What water leak?"

It turns out, her water leak had been going on for months. I would have been happy to have fixed it--long before it became the going concern it was at that particular moment. The bizarre part was: it isn't as if Ms. Angie doesn't contact me twice a month anyway to say hello. How did this slip her mind?

Tuesday night, I sent Ms. Robin a new lease. Wednesday she wrote me back and asked what I was planning on doing about repairs for the air conditioner and roof. After Marty administered the smelling salts, I wrote her back a quick note. All it said was, "What is wrong with the air conditioner and roof??" It turns out there is nothing wrong with either. She just wanted to make sure. Note to Ms. Robin. I am not amused.

Ms. Robin did ask what maintenance she was responsible for. I found this interesting, as she has lived in the same place for almost two years. My reply: anything that a handyman will charge me a ridiculous amount of money to take care of, please fix yourself. If you have expenses, call me first for approval and then send me the receipts for reimbursal. And please! Don't tell me afterwards expecting me to be happy to write a check. Ok. I didn't add that part. But my lease says something to that affect.

Part of what bugs me about repairs after the fact is finding out a tenant lived with something small, yet unsatisfactory. I expect to maintain my homes. I know issues come up. However, I expect my tenants to handle the little things--screw the outlet plate on tight, change the battery in the smoke detector and make sure the towel bar is on the wall. Generally, bigger repairs aren't too terrible and fixing them upfront is a heck of a lot cheaper than finding out the little water leak is now a geyser.

Are you listening Ms. Angie?

1 comment:

Lori said...

i have decided that my tenants believe i have a *psychic connection* to my building. i simply KNOW what's going on over there. that, or they think that i come over in the middle of the night and crawl all over the building to check out every square inch. actually, i think they would find this completely reasonable and would wonder why i am NOT doing midnight checks. isn't that my job as landlord?! to know everything that is happening at my bldg in another town?!

pass the smelling salts.