Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Down the Drain

Joe the plumber called me on Monday. Yes. His name is Joe. He works for the Best Plumber in Birmingham--who are the only plumbers in Birmingham that I can half-way stand. So, being the "best" in this case is debatable.

Joe called because Friday he had just done some work at Ms. Angie's home. And, just to show what a great company they are, they wanted to provide some value-added service. In this case, there is a cracked potty at Ms. Angie's home. Now, they didn't fix it while they were there, but they wanted to know if I wanted it fixed. If so, they can squeeze me in this week. Would Thursday work? And by the way, it will cost $385?

And, in all fairness, I didn't exactly hear the price the first time he said it. I was focusing on a bigger issue: keeping Ms. Angie happy. Her lease is up soon. I don't want her leaving.

I did some mental calculations in my head. If they already did the work over there, and didn't call me for authorization, that means they spent less than $200 (my authorization limit), so perhaps this can work. Just to be sure, I ask Joe how much I am currently on the hook for already at Ms. Angie's home.

Now then, being the "best" plumber in Birmingham, you might imagine Joe simply told me some number under $200. But of course, if that were the case, I wouldn't be writing this blog. I would like to go on record here, the only reason I didn't engage Joe was because I was with a real estate client. So, Joe got a "Bless your heart. I will call you back," instead.

It turns out the lack of authorization cost me slightly more--but I am not paying it without a fight and a darn good explanation. However, I am torn. What he fixed needed to be fixed and I would have authorized it (had they asked). But, they didn't call like they were supposed to. And, that particular issue I will be taking up with Ms. Suzy--who will be in on Wednesday.

They may be the best plumber in Birmingham, but they aren't the only ones. It seems it is time to find the second-best plumber in Birmingham. Maybe a plumber who can can follow directions.

But, back to Joe and Ms. Angie's toilet. By the time I got around to calling Joe back, I had time to let the cost of the potty sink in. $385!!! At my first break, I called around to a local plumber friend I know for a reality check. "Is it a diamond-encrusted toilet?" he asked. Nope.

My friend did give me a bit of a reality check. I got off pretty easy on the rest of the repairs. Apparently Joe's children will be going to college on the toilet-replacement racket he is running.

My next several calls were to everyone I could find in Birmingham who might be able to replace a potty. When I got to Carolsue--who wasn't my first choice, only because I can't envision her with a wrench and low-low rise jeans--she said something a bit more colorful than my plumber friend. However, she knows people. Why I didn't call her first is beyond me.

Carolsue is on this. She called Baseball Guy, who knows some guy who installs toilets. My cost: $100 plus the cost of materials.

Perhaps if this guy is any good, he can be the new Best Plumber in Birmingham.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I once knew someone who got charged over $600 for a toilet replacement.

Though, these folks were so plumbing challenged as to not even own a plunger - they called the plumber whenever the toilet got plugged up. So on the third or fourth time out, the plumber sold them on the new toilet.

I guess they kind of got what they deserved.