Friday, July 02, 2010

I Hope to Have the Crash Helmet for Sale in September

On the invitation of a very good friend, I went to Prescott this week for three days to bask in the cool 90 degree weather. I hiked. I biked. I got to sit on the floor of the bookstore and look at what I wanted to look at without interruption. It was awesome.

Though the summer is (thankfully) 1/3 over, I am still gun shy about all hell breaking loose the way it did for the past two summers. By now, two years ago, I was in shock as things were crashing down and I just wasn't able to put on a safety helmet in time. Last summer, a similar story, but I thought I was somewhat ready, so I ditched the helmet early on, only to replace three air conditioners, get two trashed homes and a whole litany of blog fodder.

Now that I scoured e-bay for a reinforced crash helmet, I am pleased to say this summer hasn't been like that. In fact, it has been just the opposite. My friend in Prescott gave me some kind words about how it is an attribute to the management of what we do that things have stabilized. I thought about that as I drove home from Prescott, into the searing heat of Phoenix, and teared up. I would like to think I am doing some things right.

On Thursday Candy called me. She left me a message asking if I would mind if she could deposit the rent (due on June 15) and late fees directly into my bank account instead of mailing a check. Seriously? Would I mind??! I have to tell you, I never expected to see Candy's last month's rent. For whatever reason tenants in Alabama think the last month's rent is optional.

When I called her back, she also asked what it would cost to stay until Aug. 1? How much would I charge them?

Why? I asked.

Because they are having a hard time finding a new place to rent. Another beautiful sentiment. I love that there are few rental homes in Birmingham. It makes my nice, spacious home in Fultondale more desirable. For those of you familiar with the basics of economics, less homes means higher rent. I am good with that. Especially now that I am employing Kirby to manage this home.

I agreed, as long as she would allow for Kirby to show the home this month while they looked. Would that be a problem? No, it would not.

I haven't taken off my crash helmet--not just yet. But it looks like--maybe--I won't need it after all.

1 comment:

Lori said...

whew! i'm crossing my fingers for you to coast right into fall & beyond. ;^)