Friday, November 20, 2009

The Trade-Off

We have had a lot of repairs of late. I believe my electrican is naming his first born after me. And, I got a postcard from my plumber and his wife on their world-cruise. They wanted to thank me for making it possible.

In the years we have been doing this, I think this is probably the first year where I have had consistant repairs. I understand that once in a while there might be a bee hive in your wall (ok, I don't understand...), and I get that once in a while a flood takes over a basement, but right now I don't think there is a home I own where something hasn't been fixed of late.

Marty Sunshine and I were discussing this. The first few years we did this I rarely talked to any type of trademen. Generally, a tenant might tell me they had a problem, but they handled it themselves. When we started discussing, it occurred to us, that the major difference is that we have better tenants now.

My best guess is better tenants expect a better quality product. Lower quality tenants don't tend to mention the broken window, electrical issue or gas leak, because they don't want me to notice the rent is late. Simply put, lower quality tenants have lower expectations. And, I would much rather pay for an electrican bill than a lawyer's bill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this site I have found It very useful and its helped me a lot. I should be able to give something back & guide others like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around