Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The End is Near

There are some basic rules in life. These aren't things that any institution of higher learning will offer you. My own children, who have very little structure to their education, could even pass this test: be nice to others, play by the rules, eat your veggies and don't annoy your landlord to the point where she decides to kick you out.

Pretty darn simple, don't you think?

Ms. Kathy lost every once of good will she had with me on Monday. You see, Ms. Kathy and I had rent drama in September. Everything worked out ok, but a simple call saying rent was going to be sent a week late might have gone far to ensure I didn't get all twitchy.

But she didn't. She made me chase her down. Then, she got a tongue lashing from Carolsue. I would think that alone would make anyone shape up. I know it scares me.

In October, Ms. Kathy called me on the day rent was due and asked for an extension. You see, she is a widow and is on social security. So, would it be a problem to pay a couple week's late when her check arrived? Additionally, she assured me she had gotten a part-time job so there shouldn't be any problems in the future.

Sadly, Ms. Kathy didn't send her check until Saturday--many days after she promised it. I only found this out because I called her and said, "Where's the rent you promised?"

Sunday I sent her an abrupt, yet polite, e-mail. I told her I would appreciate the same courtesy returned that I have extended her up until this point. I have been happy to work with her, but I would not be made a fool. If she says she is mailing the rent on a certain date, then that is what I am going with: her word. I also thanked her for sending the rent check and asked her if the next one would be on time.

She wrote me saying she just paid the electric out of her rent money so my rent check is going to bounce. Also, the reason she was late was because she needed to go to the dentist, her daughter's car had been impounded and other bills that aren't my problem. She ended it with, "I don't know what to do."

She didn't know what to do???

After my voice mail to her, explaining that she missed the part of my e-mail where I said I wouldn't be made a fool, I didn't expect to hear from her. But she surprised me and called anyway.

I give her props for being brave enough to talk to me. I wasn't very nice in my voice mail and when I got on the phone with her my mouth was in over-drive. I told her I too am a mother. I have gone with a tooth ache so my kids could have a roof over their head. I told her there is no reason to pay for electricity if there was no place to use it and it wouldn't be fun to live in her car. I also told her I didn't relish evicting her, but I have even kicked out a mother with a three-week old baby so I could do a widow at Thanksgiving (I didn't tell her that I suspect there is a special place in hell for me for evicting the baby, but I digress...).

I didn't offer her solutions. This isn't my problem. But I recommended she figure it out and let me know how that check can be current. Sell something? Payroll advancement? A relative? I find people are more innovative when their backs are to a wall. And, my tolerance for BS is at an all-time low.

And, now I am going to pray I don't have to evict a widow on to the street during the holidays. But it looks like I probably will.

********************************************************

And on another note, Happy Birthday to my dear friend and lawyer in training. Law school will be over before you know it.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

Whoa! I didn't know the check was going to bounce! Is she friends with Ms. Betty? Because I see the old electric came due at the same time as the rent theme going on here too. You should tell her that candles make a woman appear 10 years younger so maybe it's a good thing to have your lights cut off?? Just a thought.