Saturday, November 14, 2009

And Yes, His Name Really is Chip

Ms. Betty left me a broken window. Mrs. Spring wants the window fixed. She apparently is a bit fussy about having the neighbors and cold air coming in at all hours of the night. At one point, her husband offered to fix it. Mrs. Spring, who apparently has some experience with her husband's handyman abilities declined--which is too bad, because it might have happened faster.

Though broken windows aren't something I am terribly familiar with, I have replaced had one or two during my time as a home owner and landlord. All of these windows resided in Arizona. In Arizona, getting a broken window fixed is simple. I call Chip, my glass guy. He comes out, fixes the window. I pay him. We part friends.

When I started this process in Alabama, I figured I would find a Chip-like person who could provide me with a moderate level of service. I am really not terribly particular. As long as they can replace the window, we will probably get along.

I started looking on Monday. First I sent an e-mail to my main contacts over there saying, "Anyone know where I can find someone who can replace a window?" Sadly, nobody did. I now know why.

I then started randomly calling until I found someone who answered the phone. The guy I talked to only handed car windows. But, he sent me to a window company he thought might do the trick. When I called this fabulous company, the woman I talked to didn't understand me and I was having a hard time with her thick drawl. Eventually I understood her to say someone would be going out to the house and they would call me later that day to give me a quote. I heard nothing.

On Thursday, I called another company I found. I got the exact spiel from the person who answered the phone. Except, this time I did get a call a few hours later from Daniel, who said he was on his way to the Leeds house. And, would I be meeting him there? Once we got everything straight (I am in Phoenix Arizona, not Phenix City Alabama) he told me no problem! He would call me when he got there. True to his word, once he arrived, we chatted again. This time he told me he would call me back with a quote. I have heard nothing.

Mrs. Spring is moving in this weekend. And the window isn't fixed. I would feel much worse about it if she hadn't held my lease hostage for a week. I have already been in contact with her, explaining it just isn't done. But it will be. Even if I have to send Chip out there to do it himself.

No comments: