Thursday, November 05, 2009

Ms. Candy's Bad Weekend

On Friday, I found out Artie and Candy bounced the rent check. Oh dear. At first, I called Candy. She hasn't set up her voice mail just yet. So, it was on to Artie. Actually, Carolsue called Artie, because she has a Birmingham number. Artie called me back in no time flat.

Artie acted floored. Which is usually the reaction I hear--whether legit or not. I was skeptical. As Candy wrote the check, Artie assured me knew nothing about this and he would find out what was going on and call me in an hour.

Forty-nine minutes later, Artie called. "Ms. Landlord? Let me put Ms. Candy on the phone with you." Before I could even say, "ok," Candy was on the phone. Meekly she told me she would make this right. What did they need to do? When I talked to Candy she sounded like she wanted to be anywhere but on the phone with me or dealing with Artie. This was not the way she was intending to start her weekend.

When she and I were done, I hung up, figuring there was a 50/50 chance this would be resolved quickly like she said it would. Not five seconds later, Artie called back. "Ms. Landlord?"

"Please call me by my first name." I said.

"No ma'am. I have done you wrong and we aren't square right now. I will do no such thing. I owe you money." I was guessing at that moment, the odds of this being rectified just shot up significantly. Artie went on to tell me this would not happen again. I had his word.

On Saturday, the bank wasn't open, so I gave them until 11 a.m. Monday to deposit the money in my account--complete with a late fee. I was intending to have them served at work at noon if they didn't come through. At 7:45, Artie called, the money was in my account. And, he assured me, this was a one-time problem.

No comments: