Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Renter Virgins

I am pretty much done with the Springs. They made Legal Eagle waste a bunch of time on Friday. They are bugging the heck out of Carolsue. They asked for concessions on the rent. They want the deposits broken down. There is nothing attractive about this. Anyone I have ever dealt with that fits this profile has caused me nothing but grief.

However Marty Sunshine and Carolsue are pulling rank. They both think the Springs rock. Or, perhaps they think the Springs are the best we are going to get for the Leeds home and let's not quibble about the annoying things when we have someone naive enough to want to live in that neighborhood. Either way, they both think the Springs are worth the hassle.

The main difference with the Springs and anyone else--and the only reason why I am even listening to Carolsue and Marty Sunshine is that the Springs aren't professional renters. In thier 50s, they haven't rented in 30 years. This is brand new territory. You need a deposit to rent a home? That's a new one for these folks. They really didn't know.

They are, as Carolsue dubbed, "Renter Virgins." They are acting like they are buying a home. Negotiating this. Negotiating that. They are quibbling about little things which only annoy me--the landlord.

I am at the point where I just don't care. Sign the lease. Don't sign the lease. Let me get on with my life. When I shared this with Carolsue, she offered to call Mrs. Spring and shame her.

Apparently she explained to Mrs. Spring how her husband embarrassed me with Legal Eagle by making her wait around an extra hour and a half. She also mentioned I pay Legal by the hour (which hopefully in this case I won't be billed for). She mentioned that they have already used up all their favors and coming back to me asking for the deposits broken down because, as Mrs. Spring wrote me, "I also have two young grandchildren with birthdays next weekend. I don't plan to neglect their birthdays" isn't a good way to start this relationship.

Carolsue apparently got it through Mrs. Spring's head--they are living on borrowed time. So, don't ask for anything else. Ever.

I am crossing my fingers Carolsue and Marty are right about this one. If the Springs rent, I don't want tons of stuff to write about down the road that involves these clowns. Because I am pretty burned out on any topic that involves the Leeds home.

4 comments:

CarolSue said...

I'm certain that Marty Sunshine and I are equally hopeful that we are right about the Springs. Because if we are not, and you have to write future blogs about them, I'm afraid Marty and I will have to flee to Argentina to live with what's left of the fugitive Nazi's. I don't speak Spanish, I don't like the heat, Marty is far too nice for me to tolerate as a room mate and I am far to mean for him to tolerate. Please let us be right!!

Lori said...

that haughty "i don't plan to neglect their birthdays" vis-a-vis the deposits does give me some worry!

(our latest - dealing with the potential renters who begin aggressive bargaining with you re: every little thing before they ever sign anything or hand over a single dollar)

Fiona D. said...

Lori,

You are proving my gut feeling. WE as landlords are in charge. This is our business. You and I both know if we bargain now we have put ourselves in a weak position.

It isn't a good way to start any relationship.

Ernie said...

I don't know about that. It worked really well for my last marriage. Got everything I wanted before the wedding. Sorry to say it slacked off quite a bit afterwards. But I look at it as a learning experience.