Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Truth

With the exception of maybe homeschooling, I can't think of many other opportunites in my life where I have been given unsolicited editorials by well-meaning people who know nothing about me or what I do.

When I wrote about Facebook Debbie's behavior, I realized how angry I am at those who judge us for owning rental properties. Facebook Debbie doesn't know I own investment homes. But there are those close to Marty and I who do. There are some in our closest circle who judge us harshly. Family has called us greedy business owners. I have been told I am out to exploit others for our own betterment. We have been classified as slumlords, hurting our fellow man, stepping on them on our way to the top.

Just so we are clear, most of the people I know don't care one way or another what I do. I am good with that. Nor am I talking about those folks I run into who just want to know what brought me into this line of work. They may be curious what it is like. Sometimes they ask questions. Sometimes they don't. But there is a healthy respect between me and them. It isn't their thing. I get that.

But there are also those who condemn us landlords for wanting to better our family and our lives. Some of them are family. Some are friends. Some are strangers. One time there was a member of Marty's family who needed medical attention insurance would not cover. We were approached by other family members to help them cover the costs. We came up with our share. However, when it was time for other family member's to step up, Marty's sibling told him, "You don't see me buying rental homes. You can pay for it (the medical treatment)."

I had a friend once who flat-out told me she resented that I bought rental homes. She couldn't understand why I would exploit someone that way. "What way?" I asked. Because I really didn't understand. I know people who rent for a variety of reasons. How is it exploiting? One has to pay to live somewhere. I believe in the free market. If I have a home that someone wants at a rental price someone wants to pay, that isn't exploiting. I am sad to say this friend and I ended up parting ways. I felt condemned. She felt misunderstood.

At one time I used to defend my choices. I would vainly explain to the Facebook Debbies of the world that the landlord isn't evil because he wants what he is contractually owed. He may have character and ethical flaws that warrant that label. But, the very action of owning an investment property doesn't make him sleazy. But the sound of my voice never reached their ears.

Here are some truths (in no particular order) about me, the greedy landlord:

  • I believe my job is one of service. I live this in how I behave--not just with my Alabama business, but with everything I do. I don't righteously proclaim it, I live it. And, I invite anyone to to publicly call me on this if they don't agree.
  • I serve my tenants. They are given a quality home. I expect something in return. Integrity and loyalty. I generally get it.
  • We expected to sell our homes within five years of purchasing. The economy turned. It didn't happen. We don't blame anyone for our choices. We are solely responsible. We are solely accountable.
  • We had no control over the economy. This affected everyone, partners and tenants alike. I am proud to say we paid all our bills when economic times were at their worst. We may have had nothing left over, but I would rather have nothing than go into foreclosure.
  • Last summer Marty Sunshine had to dip into his 401k to cover our bills. I am thankful we had the money there. That covered a home that was vacant for five months, someone who declared bankruptcy and didn't leave my home, three new air conditioners we weren't planning on replacing and a multitude of other repairs.
  • I went to the bank Wednesday and asked for our current balance. I wanted to make sure we had the money to cover the mortgages. We did. I was relieved. I have three more rent payments coming in, so we even have some money left over this month.
  • There have been times Bliz and I have discussed which bills to pay and which ones to wait on. Because if someone doesn't pay the rent someone doesn't get paid.
  • I am happy to fix a roof. If the roof is actually leaking.
  • There are years we have made a profit. There are years we haven't made a profit.
  • In the past year, I have lowered rents on five of my homes. The economy warranted it. In every case I am happy with my choice of tenants (even Mrs. Spring).
  • If something on a rental home fails (plumbing, heating, etc.), we fix it. We put our tenant's comfort in front of our own. I have gone without purchasing a dryer and living room furniture because I wanted to make sure my renters had what they needed.
  • I will bend over backwards for a tenant. And have. My tenants tend to be long-term because of this. In the month of February, I had TWO former tenants call me asking if they can rent from me again. I get about a call a month from someone who heard about me and wants to know if I have anything available. I believe this stems from the fact that I am not a slumlord. And to my knowledge, my tenants don't feel exploited.

6 comments:

Lori said...

i have so, so, so many stories in this vein...

Annabelle Baxter said...

Sounds like you are an ideal landlord.

Unknown said...

But there are also those who condemn us landlords for wanting to better our family and our lives. Some of them are family. Some are friends.

I suppose you can't trade in family, but you should get some better friends.

-J

Fiona D. said...

I have great friends. But when I started this many people left. It really saddened me. I was excited for what I was doing and hoped my friends would--at the very least-- grant me indifference. I can live with that. I understand everyone has their own journey, perhaps our paths will cross again.

As far as my family goes, I love them and for the most part, they are all pretty great. I understand there are those who will never see eye to eye with me. But, there are those who will come to my defense if the topic comes up. And there are those who won't. I, like the rest of my family, have my own limitations. They put up with me too.

Fiona D. said...

By the way Lori, I am sorry to hear you can sympathize. As crazy as it sounds (and I think you understand what I mean), I wish you couldn't identify.

Wanting to better your life and family shouldn't include condemnation by those who care about us and judgements from ignorant strangers.

Lori said...

i wish i couldn't empathize too! :)

i've gotten this attitude about each of our businesses. "business", for those who employees rather than employers, seems to have a cold-hearted, money-grubbing aspect.

i just heard from someone who worked for me long ago and she apologized for not appreciating back then what a great boss i was -- that made my week!