Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Me & Matt

I met Matt through Attorney Jon last summer. Matt, an investment banker/mortgage guy has been in the business for several years. Last summer he was starving. Most mortgage guys were. Two months after we met for 30 minutes, Matt called me out of the blue and asked if I had any odd jobs that he might be able to handle.

Matt impressed me when I met with him in person. But he knocked my socks off when he called up a virtual stranger with a zillion homes because the alternative is starving. It spoke volumes for the kind of man he is. This guy wasn't giving up. He needed to feed his family. I am sure I wasn't the only call he made. But, I had work for him. In fact, I kept him busy for the month of September.

One of the things Matt told me after he finished working on my homes is that he prefers mortgage work to painting. And, thankyouverymuch for clearing up any fantasies he might have of handyman work being glamorous. He also told me, thanks to a month of manual labor, he was motivated to start doing mortgages again as soon as possible.

Matt and I kept in touch last autumn. He called me with a rental question or two. I e-mailed him with a mortgage question or two. I have never given him a loan. He isn't too anxious to paint any more of my homes. I am good with that.

For the past week or so we have been playing phone tag. Wednesday we connected. Matt said he just wanted to see how Kirby (the property manager referral from Matt) was working out for me. My psychic landlord abilities tell me there is more to that story, but I couldn't get it out of Matt--a true Southern gentleman.

Matt tells me he is back to mortgage brokering. I asked him about possibly refinancing a couple of my homes this summer. I am not ready for a serious discussion on this just yet. I will be later. He is good with that.

Matt told me to stop by and see him if/when I make it to Birmingham. But in the mean-time we will just keep things between us as is. We are good with that.

No comments: