Monday, December 01, 2008

The Property Manager

I have been lobbying for a long time to find a local property manager. Carolsue would like the job, but she isn't a licensed real estate agent. I am. I know better. A judge would know I would know better.

Carolsue can get by opening up a home for potential renters to see, with the mantra "ask the landlord" every time they have a question--even if she knows the answer. For example:

Potential Tenant: What school system is here?
CS: Ask the landlord.
Potential Tenant: Is the hot water gas or electric?
CS: Ask the landlord.
Potential Tenant: Will the owner allow me to add a second story, basement and fourth bedroom, close in the garage to make a den and paint the walls black all at her own expense?
CS: Sug, bless your heart. Y'all need to ask the landlord.

But, Carolsue cannot collect rents on my behalf, give out pertinent home data, schedule repairs and deal with some of the crazy things I get on a regular basis. (Here's a new one. I got a call one day from a tenant. "Do you know where the electrical box is on the house?" Me: "Why not look where the power lines are coming out of the power pole and follow them to where they attach to the house. That should give you a pretty good indication of where the electrical box happens to be.")

Mr. Partner has been against this idea from the get-go. Mainly, because I am cheaper than a property manager and why pay for them when I can deal with the headaches? And, he doesn't like the idea of someone else deciding how to spend our money for repairs--which I think is fair, but fixable. Let's put a clause in a contract saying if the garbage disposal breaks, we will get a quote before we agree to pay out whatever the property management company is charging.

While in Birmingham this past summer, completely ignoring Mr. Partner's protests, I personally interviewed to three property management companies and talked over the phone with a dozen others. I was astonished that most of the companies do not show these properties. They just have the potential tenant come in, sign something and "check out" a key.

The largest property management company in the STATE of Alabama told me, "this has never been a problem." So, if the dishwasher, air conditioner and kitchen cabinets were there before the potential tenant saw the place, but are missing afterwards, who has the liability? I discussed this with Mr. D., whom I also met with on that trip, and also thought this was outrageous. But, I digress.

Incidentally, I have had kitchen cabinets stolen, but that is for another blog.

I did talk with one company I really liked. Ironically enough, they are located in Leeds. But, I don't hold that against them. The woman I spoke with was exactly what I was looking for. Additionally, she doesn't give out keys. She actually has an agent meet the potential tenant at the house, unlocks the property and then locks it back up.

I really wanted Mr. Smith's former home to go under an independent property manager. I finally convinced or wore down Mr. Partner. My reasoning was simple, I knew Mr. Smith would be living in the neighborhood (his father-in-law lives across the street. His father-in-law must be so proud of his daughter... but I digress again). Mr. Smith has made it perfectly clear he is not happy to loose his home. I have no idea what direction this anger might take him. I feel it is in our company's best interest to put a buffer between the home, future tenant, Mr. Smith and me.

I am currently playing phone tag with the Leeds property management company to get them to take me on as a client. Last week they stopped by the home while Carolsue was there and looked around. Hopefully by tomorrow we will get Mr. Smith's home listed.

2 comments:

BusyMommy said...

Good Luck! (And who steals kitchen cabinets??? Did they leave the fridge?)

Fiona D. said...

I will post the kitchen cabient story this week.