Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Desperation

Let's face it. How often does anything good ever come out of making decisions out of desperation?

When I started thinking about our renters. The worst tenants were always ones I took out of sheer desperation. I am pleased to say I don't make the same mistakes more than a handful of times. And, I prefer to think of these mistakes as different--even if there are only subtle nuances between Mistake A and Mistake K.

Our first investment home was to be a flip. I had a newborn, no money and bad advice from my agent. It turned into a rental. The first interested renter who crossed my path was a pregnant woman with no job. She apparently saw "new clueless landlords" stamped on our forehead and played it up.

The woman was receiving child support and some sort of government assistance. Her two adult sons would be living with her and helping her pay the rent. She offered us two months cash. We jumped at it.

After a month, her sons moved out. Her child support stopped. She lasted a total of three months, gave birth and then I evicted her. Evicting someone in Arizona is pretty easy. Especially because I can do it myself.

Wayward was another desperation story. I wanted to believe Wayward's good paying job and her sense of responsibility to her children was enough to keep her honorable. My gut was telling me run and don't look back. There was additional pressure from Mr. Partner and my former agent, the Rajun Cajun. Mr. Partner wanted a tax deduction. Rajun wanted a commission. I really can't blame either of them for Wayward--it was still my call.

And, I had other issues going on too. Marty Sunshine's youngest sister had just died and we came inches from loosing a second family member. Looking back, I wasn't up to making strategic decisions--though I didn't realize it at the time. And, here's a quick tip: it is never a good idea to make strategic decisions during highly emotional times.

Of course, Wayward didn't mind our arrangement. I hunted her down every month for the rent and then she would then cheerfully pay it. She would still be living in that house today if I hadn't grown bored from this game. I always got my money, but on her terms. The first month she was late after I decided to kick her out, I joyfully started the eviction process.

Wayward left just in time too--right before anything really bad happened to either of us. And, she still has her good paying job. Thanks to Legal Eagle, I am garnishing her wages.

I often tell my perfectionist child that mistakes are what make us stronger. They help us grow and do better next time. Desperation has caused me lots of grief through the years. Surly as I hone my landlord skills, I am perfecting my craft.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One cannot be blamed for the mistakes and ploys of others. It is/was not your mistake to believe the information given to you. MOST people in this world pay their rent/mortgages. How were you supposed to know that these would not? However, I believe you actually have a rather low instance of deadbeats given the number of homes you have and have had through the years. Given that you conduct most of your business over 1000 miles away, I would say you have been a very astute landlord. Blessings need to be counted here.

Fiona D. said...

I am not whining. Just writing. This is MY therapy. Writing has less calories than chocolate and is a lot cheaper than my mental health insurance deductable.

Hopefully if there is someone out there thinking of being a landlord, they will see this and learn from my mistakes.

My mistakes have actually made me a more competent landlord. I now do credit/backgroung/eviction searches. Wayward never would have been a consideration had I performed the due diligence.

My turnover of deadbeats is relative. This year has just been awful. But, it is self-induced. I kicked out three who needed to go. And, right now there are two more (and possibly a third) teetering on the brink of homelessness. Additionally, I lost two more renters--good renters--because of their own issues.

One of the reasons I have been so fortunate about my turnover is because of my support system. People like Carolsue, Jack, Legal Eagle, Baseball Guy and a host of others have made it so I can do what I do. I am forever grateful for them.

And, yes Earnie, blessings do need to be counted. Feel free to remind me.