Wednesday, October 15, 2008

To Know Me is to ______.

Ms. Betty called today. She has put an application in on the house in Leeds. In fact, of all the strange coincidences, her pastor's mother lives across the street, two homes over. (Ms. Betty is assuming I will not hold this against her.) The pastor's mother is one of her references.

During one of the many calls today, Ms. Betty said, "I have never had to go through so much to rent a home before." In her next breath, she naively mentioned she was surprised I called her references.

Why do I call references? Not because I expect these folks will say anything negative. I just want to verify the phone number, just in case I ever need to get in touch with someone who knows my tenant. And, I have had occasion to do so.

Ms. Robin also called me today. She is interested in renting out Wayward's home. She wanted references on me. She wanted to make sure I wasn't planning on skipping out on my bills and taking her deposit, thus causing her to be homeless.

My assessment of Ms. Robin went up a notch. I think it is fair for her to rightfully make sure I am legitimate. After all, she is entering a business relationship with a perfect stranger. Hopefully I will pan out too.

No comments: