Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Isn't the Internet Great?

The major hotel chain I use when I travel has a reservations desk in the Philippines. I found this out when I called them last May, looking for a room off of Interstate 70 in Missouri. I specifically told the person on the line I wanted to stay in Booneville or Columbia.

The reservations attendant told me they had a room in "Kay-nis City." When I asked for clarification she said, "Kay-nis? Isn't that one of your states?"

"Where are you located?" I asked.

"In Topeka."

Today I called again, needing to book my room in Birmingham. My specific hotel transferred me to the reservations center. I swear it was the same reservations attendant I had before. Although she was polite and efficient, I would have preferred a bit of honesty.

When I clarified the hotel I wanted to stay at, explaining there are several in the Birmingham area, she said, "I am in Birmingham." And, I don't even know why she volunteered that. Really! I was ok thinking she was in the Philippines. I have a lot more tolerance for language barriers when I know I am talking with someone in another country.

I couldn't help myself. "Uh-huh? What's the weather like today."

"It's nice." She replied.

"Really! What is the temperature."

"Um..." (I heard typing in the background.) "It's 66 degrees."

I had just talked with Mrs. 508 who told me it was in the low 40s! Immediately, I went to Yahoo weather and found out it said the high in Birmingham was expected to be 66 degrees.

No comments: