Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Odd Couple

I have to admit, I expected Wayward's home to be a serious pain to rent out. As Ms. Marie from the Birmingham News explained to me when I posted my ad in the papers, "Ma'am, we have known each other for a while now. I think of you as a friend. So, I'll just tell it like it is, you are asking $300 more for rent than anything else in the area."

I knew I was asking a lot for the neighborhood. I wasn't ready to drop the price. My rule is three weeks at my price. If no bites, then I lower it. So far, I have never had to lower rents. In this case, I didn't know if I could go $300 less and still pay the mortgage. I knew the neighborhood was rough. What I didn't know was the neighborhood was rough because of Wayward. So, the trash now gone, the neighborhood has gotten back to the quiet, out-of-the-way haven it once was.

Everyone who has called about Wayward's house is interested. They don't whine about the deposits. And, even Ms. Thomas showed up today and wowed "Ms. Carolsue." I have two applications. Too bad the work isn't completed. And because of a few recent surprises, the work will not be completed for at least another week. Maybe two. But these folks don't care! They are willing to wait.

I thought the house in Leeds would be a cinch to rent. And, if I lowered my standards, I could get this place rented in about 10 minutes to one of the 12 looses who called today.

I naively thought the rent on the house in Leeds would bring in an influx of qualified tenants. It is doing the opposite. I am getting bombarded by lunatics with attitude problems. One person today told me my deposits were "ridiculous." Whatever happened to a dull, "thank you" and a hang up?

The polite, well spoken and gainfully employed (27 years with the State) gentleman got my attention when he called the other day. He didn't have pets. It was just he and his wife who wanted to down size and have a simpler life. I really hoped he would call Carolsue. Instead, today his wife called back. The second time she asked why I wouldn't just drop everything and head on over and show her the property (because I am out of town, but I would be delighted to have Carolsue show it to you later this week) she got snippy. "Ma'am. I just don't think I like you. You are lying to me." And, with that, she slammed down the phone.

Another person called me for the third time in two days to again renegotiate the deposits. He said his three dogs were were outdoor animals. Therefore he didn't feel he had to pay a deposit for them. Dogs still make holes in the yard. Dogs still chew up door frames. Dogs still come in the house when it is raining or tornadoes hit.

He then told me he didn't see a reason to pay a cleaning deposit. "The place will be clean when I leave," he said. Of course it will! I know this because if I rent to you, I am going to take your deposit and hire someone to clean the place.

The same guy bickered about the application fee. This is a fee I pay to the credit company. He announced he would just give me his credit report and then he wouldn't have to pay the fee. I told him I conduct a background, felony, eviction search--none of which would show up on a credit report. This genius told me it is a violation of his civil rights to conduct those searches. I know if he signs my application where it states I will be conducting those searches, I have done nothing wrong. If he wants to rent my house, he signs the application.

But, that aside, he was really screaming volumes he was unaware he was telling me. If he is whining over a $50 credit application, I am going to have trouble once a month when the rent is due. We will never be on equal ground. He will always want the upper hand. He will always feel like I am doing him wrong somehow. It will get ugly because I don't follow his rules. Instead I follow the rules of our lease. This guy is trouble.

It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to answer my Birmingham phone, for fear it is the next weirdo wanting to rent out the house in Leeds. In all fairness, weirdos are plenty in Leeds. I just don't want them renting from me.

I finally figured out why I am not getting any more calls on Waywards' former house since this weekend. Anyone who is interested in the house holds down a job during the week.

The people in Leeds are calling during the week because they are bored and need a hobby.

No comments: