Monday, October 06, 2008

Please Stop Calling Me

Spike called again today. Actually, I spoke with a few Spike-types. Is it really asking too much for a potential renter to put on their best meet-and-greet manners? Or, is it really too much to ask for Spike to read the ad?

Lest you think there is some confusion about my ability to communicate, here is the ad that ran this weekend:

Leeds: $850/month, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, remodeled, large fenced back yard, shed, rent to own avail. Poor credit ok.

Every time Spike called today, his first question was always how many bedrooms did the home have? The next question: how many bathrooms?

At this point, I would say, "Gee, did I not include that in the ad? I am so sorry."

Right out of the play book, Spike then would reply, "Oh, it's right here. I see it in the ad... How much are you asking for rent?"

Spike seems to be missing the big picture. This is one way I thin out the garden of potential rental candidates. Paying attention is part of my criteria for good tenants.

If we can get through this part of the initial interview, Spike will then ask about my deposits. For whatever reason, my deposit answer is stumping my pool of callers today. Just for the sake of debate, let me try this out on my readers. My deposits are:

Security (refundable): $700
Cleaning (non-refundable): $250
Pets--approved by landlord (partially refundable): $250
Credit Check (non-refundable): $50
Total deposits: $1250
First month's rent: $850
Total due at move-in: $2100

Most everyone I know over the age of 30 has in some time or another rented a place to live. For whatever reason, my answer is throwing people for a loop. I have a hard time thinking deposits are a thing of the past. I have a hard time believing I am the only person in the greater Birmingham area asking for deposits.

One person, completely flabbergasted over my high priced deposits threw in a red herring, telling me me it was discrimination to charge extra for his dalmatian. I hated to break it to him, but dalmatians are on my list of non-approved pets. In case it ever comes up, so are king cobras--even caged ones. Spike's sister, Spikette, asked me that today.

No comments: