Wednesday, October 01, 2008

An Excedrin Moment

Although I mean this in the nicest way, Mr. and Mrs. 508 are part of the reason the vein in my temple is ready to explode. The 508s are going through a tough time. They don't complain about their woes. But, I can tell. The obvious way is how they have become a bit lax on this whole rent thing.

Today they came clean. Mr. 508 was laid off from his job. They were ready to move out--they just needed me to say the word. What they didn't know is I have two vacant homes and one Mr. Smith. The "word" was NO. I am already on the verge of a pounding headache. Another vacant home and I will have a full-fledged migraine.

I admire Mrs. 508 for contacting me. That is a tough call to make. Even tougher was her saying, "I am not doing right by you and want to give you back your home." Even worse, I suspect she was bracing herself, ready for me to transform into a lunatic-landlord. The poor lady is pregnant. Even if I wanted to bite her head off, I can't do that to an expecting mother.

I told her by breaking her lease, her deposits are non-refundable. So, she didn't really have any money to move anyway. She had most of what she owed me. And, I will have it by Thursday. Mr. 508 is highly employable. Mrs. 508 has a part-time job. They can work this out. Moving seems drastic.

I refuse to add this to my pile'o drama. A girl just has to have priorities. Yes, I am annoyed. But, theirs is a short-term problem. More importantly, it isn't my biggest headache. Right now, they can pay enough to cover my mortgage payment for the next month or two. If they are committed to getting through this hurdle, we all be better off down the road. Otherwise, I will take two aspirin and kick them out in November.

No comments: