Monday, March 13, 2017

Another One Down

It was the second to the last house I bought. I looked for a picture of the Fultondale home, but I didn't find one. Apparently Google Earth hasn't bothered to get a car with a camera to drive by. The best I could do was see an aerial view with a car in the yard, parked some place cars don't go and a trampoline in the front.

Alice and Tyrone lived here first. Ms. Alice still contacts me once in a while to say hello. They were sweet people and I am glad to have known them. I was sorry to see them go. 

Artie and Candy lived here too. Artie, according to Carolsue was "beautiful man." I don't think I ever met him, but I have a vague image floating around my head, so who knows. He was a man of impeckable character and was a great tenant. Candy was his girlfriend who wanted to play house. On occasion, she would call me, asking for me to bargain with her and not tell Artie she didn't have the rent money. Heaven knows why she called more than once with this favor. I said no every time. 

At one time there was also so woman whose random family member kept dying and she had to use the rent money to pay her funeral expenses. You would think she might mix up the excuse once in a while, but no. She wasn't that original. When does a funeral cost $950? 

Mr. and Mrs. Fultondale called this home for the past several years. Mrs. Fultondale is a bit OCD, and kept that place immaculate--at least on the inside. Last month I told them the unfortunate news. Mrs. Fultondale raised all kinds of hell, but it was too late. The damage was done: I was losing the house and it would impact their future--no matter what she said to me. I know Kirby tried to find her another place to live. I don't know if he succeeded or if they are still living there. I kind of hope they are still there, but I don't really have a reason to want this, other than I just hate to displace someone. Mr. Fultondale grew up in the neighborhood. He told me more than once, as a kid, he used to camp about where this house was located. They wanted to buy the home from me someday. I wish they would have. 

This is also the home where Carolsue announced I painted like a "rich white girl," though I have no idea what that means or how one accomplishes that. Speaking of Carolsue, she and I once went to a yard sale on that street where the person running it innocently asked if Carolsue was my mother. I said yes, before Carolsue could answer and then quickly got out of the way. 

Today it sold to someone for $25,000 less than I owe on it. I hope it makes someone a nice, pleasant home. Or maybe whomever bought it will keep it a rental and let Mr. and Mrs. Fultondale stay. 

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

(a) I had forgotten about the garage sale episode! Good thing you were younger and faster. (b) You most certainly do paint like a rich white woman. Definition: BAD and slow painter. But I love you anyway.