Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flipping for Joy

In keeping with a quirkiness I have only experienced in the Southern part of the United States, this new lawyer has stereotypical weird nickname generally reserved for 1970s game show contestants clad in leisure suits. If you are a lawyer, should you do business by your nickname? Even in the South?


I am pleased to tell you that my 17 paragraph "brief synopsis" was enough for Legal Eagle to pave the way for me to call Flip* (new lawyer) to set a possible appointment. The message I left made me sound like a 14 year old wallflower. I cringed as I spoke into this guy's voicemail, wondering if I sounded professional and not desperate--though I am pretty sure I sounded neither. Hopefully he will call me back.
 
*As with almost everything on this blog, names are changed to protect the unassuming. But, his name is sorta-close to "Flip".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lawyers in the south very often go by their nicknames especially if they have a father, grandfather or uncle who is also an attorney or judge. I have been on cases with names such as Chips, Treys (and in the south no one actually names their son Trey - it's reserved strictly for III's), I had a case once with a "Big John" (his son was "Little John") and my all time favorite was "Hollywood". He is actually from an old line of Huntsville lawyers but he was just so pretty that everyone had called him Hollywood since high school.

Fiona D. said...

You can swing a dead cat in Alabama with great odds that it will most likely hit someone named "Trey".