Friday, June 29, 2012

Back Flip

Author's Note: I would like to send out my personal thanks to Steve Nash. Thank you. If you don't sign with the Suns that's ok. Best of luck to you.

Before my meeting with Flip, Carolsue, a Birmingham paralegal for numerous years, sat me down and advised me on how to effectively deal with Flip. According to Carolsue, I was to channel my inner "white Yankee bitch." Apparently, playing it polite and professional was not going to work with Southern male lawyers and I needed to take the white gloves off and be ready to go off on Flip at a moment's notice.

And, after waiting a good 30 minutes for Flip (10 because I showed up early to our meeting), I was had my "I am your worst nightmare" attitude chambered and ready to go at a moment's notice. Of course, I had a smile on my face the entire time.

Flip and I started the meeting with Flip telling me how everyone loved Attorney Jon. Which is a sentiment I happen to agree with. Attorney Jon was wonderful. And then he candidly told me the how Attorney Jon died.

And, because three people on this trip alone independently brought the circumstances of his death (again) to my attention, it is either the worst kept secret in the South or common knowledge. So, I am ok writing about it at this point. Attorney Jon took his life. I have known this for almost a year ago. And, for those of you playing along on the Sage Business home edition, perhaps you can see why this has been so painful and difficult for me to process Attorney Jon's death. So, give a girl a break, will you?

Anyway, back to Flip. After the customary how-do-you-dos, and speaking about Attorney Jon and the family he left behind, Flip started explaining what legal steps I can take, including malpractice. Otherwise, he would be happy to find the right lawyer to take care of my issue as well. I stopped him right there and explained there was no reason to go the malpractice route. I don't want to get Mrs. Late Attorney Jon or his children involved. I just want my issue fixed.

And, I didn't think my problem was a tough issue, but one that needed a legal-type to finish for me. Essentially, my situation isn't a disaster, we are just extremely vulnerable if the wrong sorts find out. We need to be protected properly. Attorney Jon was to have handled this.

As we spent several moments going through my papers, with me showing him the precedents and the documents that led up to my unfortunate situation, I wasn't comfortable I had won Flip over. I was ready. I had white Yankee bitch on reserve.

And then, out of the blue, Flip turned to me, paused for a moment and then said, "So, do you think Steve Nash will re-sign with the Suns?"

I have no idea. I don't follow basketball. "I hope so. He was a valuable contribution last year," I replied. Apparently that was the right answer.

And Flip eased up.

A few minutes later, Flip and I were sharing fun memories of Attorney Jon. Flip was telling me about his daughter who is about to enter college and took a vow of purity. He handed me a business card and then took out the legal pad. He asked me if Marty Sunshine went by Marty or Martin. And he wrote down the answer. And just to put me completely at ease from that point forward, he didn't take the next 970 phone calls that came in for him while I was there.

As we were parting I asked what the next steps happened to be. And, I got a reasonable answer. Flip doesn't feel I have been harmed (no malpractice necessary, Attorney Jon's widow doesn't have to be involved).  However, there is some neglect. And, he agrees we are vulnerable. Provided the other parties in question are reasonable (meaning we don't have to go to court--and he did ask if necessary would I testify about some of the papers I gave him), this shouldn't cost me that much to fix. I don't see how this will go to court. The other parties involved would have a hard time getting legal counsel to represent them under the circumstances. I am in the right.

When I left, I was emotionally spent. This had been the crux of my trip. I need this fixed. It can harm us if it is left undone. And now, it looks like it will be done.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

Your trips to Birmingham will be much better from this point forward. Jon's business is taken care of (or will be by your next visit) you have been able to talk about him with people who actually knew him & were guided by the Angels (I'm not being sarcastic) so that you were able to visit his final resting place. Now write your letter and then you will be able to file this in your life events folder and move forward.