Friday, January 15, 2010

Maybe It Is Really My Inner Pathetic Nerd

Growing up, didn't everyone have the grown-up they revered in awe? This was the person who you looked to as a bastion of cool/sophistication/normalcy. You wanted to make sure this person didn't think of you as the awkward one, wanting to fit in.

Though I am in my 40s, Attorney Jon has taken this role since I started my accidental business. I realize how pathetic this sounds. And I am ok with that.

I am honored he takes my calls, handles my business and passes his valuable connections my way when necessary (hence, I have Legal Eagle, Jack and Matt the banker, briefly turned handyman). Unless Jack sets something up, I don't socialize with Attorney Jon when I am in Birmingham. Though I wouldn't think twice of calling Legal Eagle and inviting her to lunch, I wouldn't dare call upon Attorney Jon in his office unless I was bearing gifts or business for him.

Lately I have needed Attorney Jon and find myself going to great lengths to make sure I am handling the situations appropriately. I needed him to file something in Shelby County for me. I told him I wanted to make sure he was being reimbursed for his time too--because he rarely charges me for what he does. When Attorney Jon didn't respond right away to what his fee would happen to be, I consulted Carolsue. She told me it would be highly appropriate to send him a gift certificate so he could take his wife to dinner. I think somewhere Emily Post covered this but at that particular moment, I was at a loss. Attorney Jon did get back to me and tell me I could pay a nominal fee. I am certainly not complaining. Legal Eagle's idea of a "nominal fee" tends to have lots more zeros on the end.

Right now he is working on another matter for me. The other day he returned my voicemail. I noticed I was careful to wish him a Happy New Year and congratulate him on Alabama's win last week. Apparently I hit all the right buttons. Though I would do the same with anyone over there, for some reason I was more aware of this particular moment of etiquette.

Of course, intellectually, I know this is very silly. I am a mildly competent businesswoman who has assembled a top-notch team of professionals to help me. Attorney Jon is a highly-competent attorney and I am blessed to have him. I am the first to tell you I want this guy touching every aspect of what I do because my accidental business functions much better because he does. But I still don't want him thinking of me as the awkward Yankee hick trying to do business in the South. Even though I am pretty sure that I what I have been conveying all along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a crush on him.

Fiona D. said...

That made me chuckle!

But nope, all my crushes are for Marty Sunshine.