Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Yay! There is Someone More Flighty Than Me

Currently, I am "helping" Bliz by paying the basic bills, while she goes and earns a real living for her family. However, I am not sure how much help I really am. For one thing, I forget about major creditors--like the power company. It turns out I owed them payment for five houses. Of course, had they sent me the bills to begin with I probably would have felt more of a compunction to pay them.

For another, I am lousy with the levels of organization necessary for bill paying. There are those who with a greater appreciation than I who thoroughly comprehend the intricacies of debits and credits. My mind is more of a "Hey Bliz! I paid this $20 to a guy who I think was named Mac. This was about six weeks ago. Could you make this journal entry for me?" and less, "Oh, now how do I correctly apply this payment?" Fortunately for me, Bliz is still handling the journal entry part of the accounting. Fortunately for her, she charges me by the hour.

On Tuesday I found someone just as artistic about bill paying as me. Mr. Hardy replaced my window in the Leeds house last month. On Tuesday I called him and said, "I think I owe you money."

He wasn't incensed that I hadn't paid him--the reaction the power company is giving me (did I mention if they had sent me the bills I would have paid them?). Instead he said, "You know what? My computer is down, how about if I just hold on to your number and call you back in a few weeks and you can pay me then?"

Yes, how about that? And may I add, only in the South.

Hopefully he is keeping better track about these things than I am. And hopefully his bookkeeper isn't charging him by the journal entry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours isn't charging by the journal entry either - unfortunately for me! :)

~Bliz

Fiona D. said...

True. I have been under the illusion that our life-long friendship and regular toffee bribes might qualify me for a volume discount.

Anonymous said...

It's no illusion. You aren't my highest paying customer for a reason! Toffee and friendship goes a long way. Not to mention that PITA fee my other clients have!

~Bliz

Fiona D. said...

I don't make you commute to my office. I hope that counts for something too.

Anonymous said...

Although I am sure you would like to! I would like to see you too!

~Bliz

Fiona D. said...

Actually, if you commuted to my office, we would spend all that time in my kitchen with cups of tea, just visiting. We would never get around to actually working.

I miss you Bliz.