Thursday, December 24, 2009

Liars and Deadbeats and Thieves, Oh My!

I was at a crossroads with Ms. Kathy. She has a guaranteed income (widow's benefits) that will not go away for several years. But, her payday and my rent due date are two weeks apart. One might wonder why I just don't change the date of her rent. In the past, I have found that turns out to always be a disaster. Every time I have accommodated a tenant on the rental due date they fail. Every single time. So, I don't believe for a moment if her rent is due on the 15th of the month or the 3rd of the month it would make a shred of difference.

I am at a loss as to why she doesn't seem to care about paying the rent. For the first nine months of her lease, she was golden. Now it seems like it is an afterthought. I had been toying with kicking her out because this kind of situation only leads to trouble. I was sharing this with Carolsue on Wednesday when she dropped this bombshell on me. Ms. Kathy told Carolsue when she promised me she would pay on time this month she had no intention of doing so. It was in essence, lip service.

To her credit, Carolsue told Ms. Kathy she was no better than Ms. Kathy's predecessor: Mr. Smith. I suppose if Carolsue was going to fling one and only insult at Ms. Kathy that was the one to do. I am sorry I didn't get a chance to use that one. But now the damage is done. I tolerate those who are struggling. There are many of us who are struggling. But, I draw the line at thieves and liars. And Ms. Kathy admitted she was both.

As much as I tried, Carolsue flat-out refused to serve Ms. Kathy on Christmas Day. In her effort to deter me, Carolsue even cited some made-up Alabama law about it being illegal to serve someone on a religious holiday. Instead, Carolsue opted to do so on Dec. 26. No matter, it looks like I will soon be purging myself of a liar and a thief.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

This is just such an unnecessary situation. When one has a regular income such as hers, why is it a hassle to pay rent? I would think instead of spending the rent money elsewhere, she would be thankful that she had a steady source of income in which to ensure a roof over the heads of her family. I just don't get her "logic". So sorry about the entire situation.