Thursday, December 03, 2009

Cross Your Fingers

From what I understand, Ms. Kathy is supposed to pay the remaining October and all of November rent to me today. Just to be sure she and I were on the same page, I called her Wednesday, leaving a message, verifying this was the case.

Ms. Kathy decided the most prudent option when facing a landlord wanting money would be to text me. After all, why deal with me on the phone when a little old text would do. In her message she said she would deposit into my bank account most of her rent on Thursday and then deposit the remainder Friday. And, was that ok?

Because I figured I would be slightly more diplomatic texting her back instead of calling her, I did so. I let her know based on the state of our current relationship it probably would be best for her to keep up her end of the bargain and give me all the money at once. Just like we agreed to. I said I was uncomfortable with her changing the rules of engagement this far into the process.

What do you know! Ms. Kathy had cell minutes left. She called me immediately to broker the deal. The way I let it stand, she would still get in touch with Carolsue (something I was pretty sure she wasn't interested in doing), give her all the money she owes me on Dec. 3. She could not leave cash on Carolsue's doorstep. Nope. She had to meet in person.

I half-expected her to balk at seeing Carolsue. After all, I can't say I blame her. I had a back-up plan in place just in case, I was going to send her to Legal Eagle. Then, if I had to go to court for an eviction, Legal Eagle would be able to identify her to the judge.

To Ms. Kathy's credit, she never once mentioned the verbal torture Carolsue bestowed upon her. I did offer her a slight reprieve. Ms. Kathy can mail in December's rent--due on the 15th--as long as the check doesn't bounce.

Will Ms. Kathy come through today? I am not willing to take that bet. Logistically, I would think she should be able to do this. I know she gets her widow's benefits today. But, I am not believing anything until the money is in the bank.

No comments: