Saturday, December 05, 2009

Random Bama

Ms. Kathy came through. Apparently there wasn't a cat fight, instead a Southern woman, ultra-polite conversation, that included gardening tips.

Thankfully, Carolsue went with the girl-friend approach this time, but she did ask Ms. Kathy why my children should forgo Christmas because Ms.Kathy didn't feel up to paying the rent. Carolsue also explained I wasn't a trust fund baby, and I wasn't running a charity. There were a few other shame comments, which will hopefully afford Ms. Kathy and I a better relationship in the long run.

________________________________________

Speaking of Ms. Kathy, she lives in Mr. Smith's former home. For those of you unfamiliar with Mr. Smith, I certainly wish I could join you.

Essentially: he was my absolute worst tenant. He lived in my home for five months rent-free before I was able to get a court date. Then, he made me haul myself to Birmingham to get in front of a judge. Mr. Smith didn't show, so I won--which I would have anyway. At that point, he and his family moved directly across the street to his father-in-law's home--which is where he has been blissfully residing ever since.

Apparently he still doesn't have a job. He is still mooching off his once retired father-in-law, who has gone back to work. Mr. Smith's wife has also gotten a job and the Smith kids are in daycare instead of at home with the unemployed and unmotivated Mr. Smith.

The father-in-law, one of the original homeowners on this quiet patch of street, is now shunned by his neighbors and treated like a pariah. A very sad situation. He could kick them out, but that would probably mean alienating his daughter and grandchildren.

Now let's all take a moment to a thank whom or whatever you wish to thank that you aren't related to Mr. Smith.

_____________________________________________________

Mr. Green called Carolsue Friday. His dryer doesn't work and wants me to do something about it. When Carolsue finally got to the crux of the situation, it turns out Mr. Green felt that the issue was the 220 electrical outlet that suddenly stopped working after 20 years and not his ancient dryer that was the problem. And, would I please call the electrician immediately to take care of this?

Carolsue kindly explained that it would be best to make sure the plug worked before I called the electrician (and am not sure the electrician would be so charitable to take care of another one of my homes given I haven't paid him yet for the electrical fire at the Leeds house). Mr. Green and Carolsue went back and forth with this for several minutes before he opted to test out the plug and his dryer. He is supposed to call her back if it is really the outlet.

Note to Mr. Green, get a grip.

3 comments:

CarolSue said...

No call from Mr. Green. I'm betting either the plug was fine or Mrs. Green found out he had called us before first checking the plug and beat him to death. Either way, we save on the electrician bill so I'm good.

Ernie said...

You know I adore my children. There is nothing in this world (including the hiding of bodies) that I wouldn't do for them. However, if my daughter and her deadbeat husband (her actual husband is anything but a deadbeat - thank God) were to move into my house with their children (which in reality would be their basset hounds)and he expected to use my house for shelter, my electricity, my water, etc. it most emphatically would not be ME ending my retirement and getting a job. And in case that didn't work, my daughter could just alienate herself all she wanted to because he would be out the door! I feel so sorry for the dad. He's in a really bad situation. But that's what he gets for allowing his 17 year old to date a MUCH older guy in the first place.

duong said...

i have no job now also, i pregnant :D