Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Things She'll Do For Love

I talked to Carolsue on Thursday morning. Hesitating, she said, "I spoke with Ms. Kathy. I hate to say this, but I think you could do worse."

She must have really hated to say that, because last I checked, Carolsue and I were of the same mind about Ms. Kathy. I figured she had given Carolsue one heck of a sob story so ironclad that even Carolsue had fallen for it. I still wasn't buying it.

Ms. Kathy did tell Carolsue what was causing all the financial conflict in her life. It wasn't the normal gambling/drugs/boyfriend. This is usually what I see when someone starts to fail out of the blue. And, Ms. Kathy is getting almost four times the rent every month in social security benefits. So, I jumped to conclusions.

Sadly, Ms. Kathy's situation isn't as simple as a drug addiction. It is much sadder. She has a 17 year old daughter from a previous marriage. For about a year, the daughter has been threatening to move in her with her father if Ms. Kathy didn't buy this, that and the other thing.

So, Ms. Kathy bought her a truck. The truck got impounded. Ms. Kathy paid to get the truck out of automobile jail. Then the daughter wanted something else. So, Ms. Kathy bought that too. And so it goes. Ms. Kathy even got a job to cover the additional expenses (meanwhile, the daughter did not). The last installment of this was a cell phone. Ms. Kathy didn't have the money for the rent, electric bill or anything else, but the daughter threatened to move out. Ms. Kathy tried her best to accomodate. The daughter left anyway.

Carolsue pointed out to Ms. Kathy that the daughter knew Ms. Kathy was behind on the rent, behind on the electricity, gas and other bills. Her daughter knew Ms. Kathy was driving a car with a leak in the gas tank, and yet, the daughter still blackmailed. Ms. Kathy paid because the price of her daughter moving was too great. And, yet she moved anyway.

I am upset about Ms. Kathy for many reasons. I naively ask how did a parent-child relationship get to this point? I was a belligerent teenager and my parents assure me Karma is real. I have it coming. But I can't imagine foregoing one's basic hierarchy of needs for a spoiled brat. I know it happens. I know the dynamics in my family are different than Ms. Kathy's. And I am sure my sweet little Polly will someday rebel--but I can't imagine giving in and buying my child a car instead of paying the rent.

The entire story makes a great deal of sense. Which makes me sadder. I agreed to a slight reprieve. But I am only willing to wait so long. I am letting Carolsue be the good cop and straighten things out with Ms. Kathy. If not, I am ok starting over with a new and paying tenant.

2 comments:

CarolSue said...

I think you very smartly agreed to a reprieve. It's only a week's worth of a reprieve with the promise of money at that time. A week isn't going to make or break the situation so I say see if she comes through. If not, I'll put on my eviction hat and take a road trip to Moody!

Unknown said...

Don't worry too much about your karma. Karma only logically works if there is reincarnation. You are not necessarily due to be paid back for bad karma in this life. Besides, from what I've heard about your mother, your rebellious teenage years may have been her getting some of her bad karma back ;-).