Saturday, August 09, 2008

She Took the Kitchen Sink

Thank God for Former Tenant #2. Carolsue has been helping me out with a variety of Birmingham tasks. Lately it has been all about Wayward's home. Saturday, she had an opportunity to go in and tell me what I was looking at.

But first, armed with her power of attorney, Carolsue filed a police report. On Monday I am filing criminal charges against Wayward. You see, Wayward wasn't very gracious when she left. It wasn't just that she didn't want to pay, she decided to make a big deal of it.

The house isn't really too-too bad. I can think of three homes I have that were much worse when the tenants left. Except, in those cases, the tenants just left, but didn't take their junk. Wayward took this to a new level. She pulled up the flooring, took the air vents, painted the walls navy blue and took the kitchen sink. There are other things too, but you get the idea.

The major difference between my attitude a week ago and now is I no longer have to use my imagination. I now have concrete facts. And, with those facts I can move forward. The waiting really is the toughest part. Waiting wrecks havoc on the imagination. It causes all sorts of unnecessary stress. Usually my imagination is worse than the reality. This time it wasn't the case, but as Carolsue pointed out, it isn't the end of the world. After all, I have two different families clamoring for this house. A month from now, this will be something I will probably laugh about. I hope.

I have insurance. I have the law on my side. My own experiences have thickened my skin and strengthened my stomach lining. I have a business partner who is an experienced landlord and knows stuff like this happens. Even if the courts don't catch up with her, Divine retribution will.


Where the kitchen sink was supposed to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.