Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I Really Do Feel For Them

With the exception of Wayward, I hate kicking people out. It never gets easier. I don't care how much they owe me. They are still people.

I once evicted a mother and her three week old baby. There is probably a special place in hell for me for putting a newborn on the street. Even though I know intellectually it had to happen, it still bothers me. I am sure that mother found a place for her family. I hope they are somewhere happier now, and life is better. Living for free is stealing--and I understand the business side of this. But, forcibly removing someone from their home always pains me a bit.

Mr. Smith is still negotiating. Actually, he doesn't have an audience. I am reminded of the footage of Saddam Hussein going to his execution, saying something along the lines of, "Wait, wait. You have this all wrong." I am not making light of any man's demise. But, there is an interesting dynamic when someone is backed into a corner, what lengths they will go to in their final moments, out of self preservation. Mr. Smith is no exception.

I have gotten extremely pitiful e-mails from him in this past two weeks. He was told by my attorney not to contact me. That hasn't stopped him. I don't know if I were in his shoes, if it would have stopped me. I have not responded to him for a variety of reasons. First, I cannot seem to communicate with him without loosing my dignity. Second, there really is nothing left to say. Pay or move.

His last e-mail--which offered a payment plan, got me thinking about letting him stay. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized it would never work. if he hasn't paid thus far, why would a payment plan be any different. And, it would just prolong the inevitable.

Mr. Smith used some unusual tactics in this last note. Aside from the unrealistic payment plan, he pointed out that I don't like vacant homes. I don't, but he is unaware that I have become used to them. Besides vacant homes leave promise for paying renters. He also made a point to say some very flattering things right out of the play book.

And, he even told me about all the great things he has done for me. This little gem in particular caught my eye: "You know how protective I have been over you. I did not tell some people about (your program) because I did not think they would pay." Very kind of him. But, even if he did tell these folks about my company, I probably would have figured out they were bums all by myself.

Please understand, I am not dogging Mr. Smith. (I only do that when I talk to him because he drives me bonkers.) I feel for him. I feel for his family. I can't imagine how aweful this is for he and his wife. He is about to lose his home. All the e-mails and phone calls in the world won't change this at this point. The level of stress in his marriage must be beyond compare. His young children must feel the angst. This kind of heartburn affects everything. It saddens me. It really does.

I don't wish any ill will on the poor guy. And, I hope by getting him out of my home, perhaps he can find a less expensive alternative. Maybe he will learn about money management. Maybe this experience will strengthen his resolve. I really do wish these things for the man. But, it is best if he learns these lessons soon and learns them elsewhere.

No comments: