Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where Can I Find a Job Requiring Me to Only Work One Day a Week?

I called in my insurance claim on Monday. I need this claim so I can press charges--and yes, I will be doing that too. My insurance agent told me just to sit tight (yes really) and the adjuster would give me a call. I gave every conceivable way to contact me--with expressed directives to call me on my cell first.

Yesterday afternoon, while out doing something completely unrelated to Alabama property management, the adjuster called. My husband gave him my cell number and had the incredible foresight to take his vital information. The adjuster didn't call me on my cell. He didn't call on my Birmingham number either. So, today I called him.

It seems the insurance adjuster only works in the office on Tuesdays. Today is Wednesday. This isn't happy news to me.

I did do what any frantic person would do, call back, entered the company's telephony system (complete with southern drawl, may I add) and manically pushed zero until I found a friendly live body who would listen to my tale of woe.

I have asked for everything from a new claims adjuster to this guy's cell number. Instead, I got a round of "oh mys" and a litany of "bless your hearts."

That is one thing about the good people of the South, they always treat your situation as if it were big news--no matter what. I could have said, the front room has a missing 49 cent outlet cover, and it would have elicited the same level of sympathy. They will do this whether they they were planning on offering a viable solution or not. You will always get sincere regret for your situation. And, as likely as not, after your phone call the person you were speaking to will round up a few coworkers for an anonymous prayer vigil. Several strangers will up and leave their desks, casting aside their company business to voluntarily congregate in the lunch room for a moment or two on your behalf. There really are worse things.

In this case, the insurance company representative also did the next best thing to sending out an adjuster. They arranged for a contractor to head out and give me an estimate on Wayward's former home. From what was explained to me, an estimate can be submitted back to the insurance company. If I agree with the estimate, apparently somebody at the insurance company can then see about processing it without the MIA adjuster.

Hopefully the contractor works more than one day a week, because I happen to know he was in the office today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that's funny! Very true - yet still funny! We are nothing if not sympathetic down here, bless our hearts!