Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Putting it in Perspective

Lest you think my blog is one big complaint--and I think I made it pretty clear this is personal therapy not a major bitch session--I usually like what I do. Even the stuff that hits me hard isn't meant as a big whiny, self-deprecating poor me-fest. Writing releases me from the stress. It is a way to give to God the stuff tormenting me, letting go of what I can't control.

Just maybe writing my experiences as a landlord will be of value to someone else out there. Maybe they will see the Wayward's and Smith's of the world and not make the mistakes I have made.

Yes, there are issues. And, when issues show up they often do it as a tidal wave instead of a trickle. I would prefer to have less negative experiences. But, the challenges of what I face make me a better business woman, better investor and overall better person. Or, at least I hope so.

My company has two components. One section deals with straight rentals. That is the part where I have the majority of challenges. These are the things that tax my good nature, test my sanity and give my two loyal readers the impression I am three sheets to the wind the majority of the time (for the record, I am not). What the hell! This is where the best blog-fodder comes from.

But, a good part of my company's focus is designed to help people who have good character and poor credit own a home. There are tons of folks in this category who need help. They come from all walks of life. They are of every color, nationality and background. Some have made it to the top. Some are still on the first rung of the ladder of success. It doesn't change who they are. Character matters. You can't find a section for character on a credit report.

I mentioned Terry once--a former tenant who still calls me regularly. There is Tina. I went to her wedding last October. She was able to give her three boys a better life by moving into one of my homes located in a better neighborhood and school district. She told me the changes for her family made a difference in their lives. Her middle son was heading for trouble. He found a mentor, the right kinds of friends and has turned his life around.
There is Penny, whose husband of many, many years had emergency surgery and died. This happened right after they bought a new-fangled RV. They were going to spend their golden years touring the country. Instead, when her grief subsided, she gave the RV back to the dealership and moved to Arizona to be closer to her grandchildren. There is a family from South Africa who couldn't buy a home because they hadn't been at their job long enough.

There is a grocery store manager. A single mother who needed to get away from her abusive husband. There is a family where the husband ended up going on disability when they were house-hunting, thus impeding their ability to get a loan. At least three of the families in my program have even owned rental homes. There are other stories too, some even too personal to go write about--even anonymously.

The part of my company that works with these folks is a very specific program. I am not looking to help the people who carelessly run up their credit card buying Fingerhut merchandise. I will go to bat for those who have had something happen--divorce, medical emergencies or death and are ready to bounce back. The banks won't take a chance because they had an event in their life wounding their credit and scarring their future ability for the American Dream. I am not talking about impoverished families. I am talking about hard-working people from all walks of life who had something happen to them. Tragedy doesn't discriminate.

Most of the time, things work out perfectly fine. Sometimes I get Wayward. If someone like Wayward came to me now looking for a home, she would not be the kind of person I would select. Thanks to experiences with people like her, I am much better at what I do. And, it is people like Wayward I have to thank for making me that much wiser. I couldn't buy this kind of education in a college course.

Today I got an e-mail from one of my tenants I never hear from. It simply said, "Thanks for taking a chance on us." That's the kind of people who make this worth my time.

No comments: