Tuesday, March 01, 2011

How's the Weather?

But first... sending out love to Busy Mommy, who starts chemo today.

In some ways, this Alabama trip was a bit more unnerving than previous visits.

Last Thursday night I experienced my first tornado (we don't have these "tornado things" in Arizona). The wind sounded light a freight train rumbling through the sky. I was on the top floor of the hotel and I was almost certain at one point the roof was going to come off. I could feel the walls shaking and in the distance I heard the tornado sirens. At one point I bravely looked out the window to see debris swirling and then went back to bed, a bit more disturbed than I expected, and hid under the blankets until sleep set in sometime much later.

One of the absolute bright spots to come out of this trip was getting squared away with Kirby. The house in Leeds is done (sans the coffee-ground carpet) and now needs to get a tenant. I actually like this moment in the landlord business. It is the moment of hope.

When I saw Kirby briefly Thursday night I had a quick, and yet frank discussion with him. For my part, I explained I don't do well to have really, really important issues glossed over--like him telling me the former Leeds tenants left "a few housekeeping things" that needed to be taken care of. Tell it like it is!

So he did. Kirby looked towards the sky, as we stood in the hotel parking lot that evening, and commented that it looked like tornado weather. And I know he didn't gloss over anything with that statement.

No comments: