Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Leeding The Way

Kirby found out more about The Mom With The Job. First, her boyfriend (who will be going on the lease) has a job. Second, her four kids range in age from marginally little to middle-sized. I can't decide which would bother me more: teenagers or middle-sized kids. In any case, I wasn't enchanted.

The truth is, nobody who lives here will enchant me. I have had six tenants in this home through the course of time. None of them were anyone I ever want to meet again. With the exception of Mrs. Spring, none of them were very tidy. Most of them were obnoxious. And, to top it off, I am pretty much convinced that anyone who willingly wants to live in this super-cute home in Leeds Alabama isn't really going to be the kind of person I want to rent to in the first place.

Yes, I know, location, location, location. But I don't have a wayback machine to fix this and incidentally, when there is a paying tenant in place, this house cashflows. I just don't like the emotional baggage that seems to follow anyone willing to live in Leeds.

I explained to Kirby on Monday that I had some reservations about four kids living in this home. I have to tell you, my reservations are courtesy of the last tenant (seriously? she didn't think to clean off the peanut butter on the walls?). I also told him that I am not sure anyone really will really make me happy. I secretly believe Kirby had already came to that conclusion but was too polite to say so.

What we did decide, was to write the lease with an inspection clause. Someone--whether Kirby or Carolsue--will go over and inspect the property from time to time. Even if I never exercise this, I want the tenant on notice. Peanut butter is for sandwiches only. (By the way, I happen to have this clause in my personal lease as well).

Kirby seemed to think this was reasonable solution and said he could see my point. After all, he said he is used to dealing with crazies. "I am sure the tenants must drive you nuts sometimes too." I replied.

No comments: